Land Rover to begin taking orders for new Defender at Frankfurt debut on Sept. 10
The wait is nearly over. Land Rover confirmed on Thursday that its hotly anticipated Defender SUV will make its world debut on Sept. 10 at the Frankfurt motor show, and it will begin taking orders at that time.
The reveal, which will take place at 3:50 am eastern time, will be livestreamed on Land Rover's Facebook fan page and Youtube channel. Land Rover hasn't said how customers will be able to order their off-roaders when the order books open.
Prior to the launch, Land Rover also gave fans a sneak preview of the Defender in action by releasing a video of it driving through Kazakhstan's Valley of the Castles. Click on that video above.
Although Frankfurt will play host to the Defender’s first official appearance, images of Land Rover’s iconic off-roader have leaked in recent weeks. Most recently we saw a totally undisguised Defender on the set of the next James Bond movie. Those leaks have only ratcheted up the excitement for the Defender’s official debut.
When the new Defender takes to the stage in Frankfurt, expect to see a number of different configurations of the off-road SUV. Land Rover will offer the Defender in two- and four-door body styles, and there will also be pickup and long-wheelbase models. It remains to be seen how many of those body styles will make it to the United States, with the four-door model seen as the only sure thing.
Previous reports have suggested that the Defender will be offered with six different powertrains, including a turbocharged inine-6 and a 4-cylinder paired with a hybrid drive system. A pure-electric model has also been rumored.
Pricing is far from confirmed, but the Defender is expected to slot somewhere between the $53,085 Discovery and $67,745 Range Rover Sport. That would also place the Defender squarely between its closest competitors, the $51,000 Jeep Wrangler Moab and the $124,000 Mercedes-Benz G-Class.
The new Land Rover Defender, which will likely be tagged as a 2021 model, should arrive in dealer showrooms shortly after its Frankfurt motor show debut.
More on this: 117 stories
- 2020 Land Rover Defender interior tour and review
- Jaguar Land Rover chief wants alliances, not a merger
- Land Rover's Short Defender 90 Sets Foot In America, Start Froms “Around $50k”
- Land Rover Defender 90 will start 'around $50,000'
- WATCH | New Land Rover Defender retains its original features with a modern twist
- Boston native dedicated to Jaguar Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender teaser video from Daniel Craig's last James Bond film No Time to Die
- New 2021 Range Rover Crossover to arrive with all-electric and hybrid power
- 007 puts the Land Rover Defender through its toughest test yet
- New Land Rover Defender is licensed to thrill
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Does Its Thing In New James Bond Movie
- Land Rover Defender Confirmed To Star In New James Bond Movie
- 2020 Land Rover Defender to join fleet of Aston Martins in new Bond movie
- Land Rover New Defender does extreme stunts in next James Bond film
- New Land Rover Defender on the set of new 007 film 'No Time to Die'
- All-new Range Rover Crossover planned for 2021
- 'No Time to Die' stunt team jumps and rolls new Land Rover Defender for James Bond film
- Jaguar Land Rover unlikely to go smaller than Evoque, E-Pace
- Land Rover Defender "Surf Edition" Will Make You Wish It Was Summer In The Northern Hemisphere
- New electric Range Rover previewed in exclusive images
- Land Rover Considering Defender 90 Commercial Model For The U.S.
- New electric Range Rover takes aim at Bentley and Rolls-Royce
- REVIEW: Range Rover Evoque still a style leader for luxury SUVs
- New Land Rover Defender 90 delivers Rugby World Cup Trophy
- New Land Rover Defender 90 to deliver Rugby World Cup Trophy