JLR reveals new Land Rover Defender at Frankfurt Motor Show
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) is showcasing its efforts to reinvent an icon with the official unveiling of the new Land Rover Defender 4x4 at the Frankfurt Motor Show.
Order books have now opened for the modern iteration of the Defender, with prices for the Defender 110 starting from £45,240.
Defender 90 and Commercial pricing and deliveries will be confirmed at a later date but JLR revealed that the Defender 90’s guide price will be around £40,000 with Defender Commercial guide pricing from £35,000 (plus VAT).
He added: "This is a new Defender for a New Age. Its unique personality is accentuated by its distinctive silhouette and optimum proportions, which make it both highly desirable and seriously capable – a visually compelling 4x4 that wears its design and engineering integrity with uncompromised commitment.”
Ahead of the launch of the new Defender, AM contributor David Francis took a look at the importance of the new Defender to the Jaguar Land Rover retail network in a Guest Opinion feature earlier this year.
While Jaguar’s new car registrations have delivered a 9% YTD (22,263) increase, with Land Rover up 2% (46,245) so far in 2019, JLR managing director Rawdon Glover is keen to see his retailers benefit from the launch of the new model after challenges in the market contributed to delays in the OEM's Dual Arch concept CI roll-out.
With a choice of both advanced petrol and diesel engines, and a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) powertrain joining next year, there is a variety of drivetrain options available to help drive the new Defender's potential for sales success.
Meanwhile a pair of four-cylinder diesels – the D200 and powerful D240 – make up the diesel line-up.
Both diesel engines are said to deliver fuel economy of 37.2mpg (7.6 l/100km) and CO2 emissions of 199g/km (NEDC equivalent).
Among the new technology introduced in the Defender comes the introduction of JLR’s new Pivi Pro infotainment system, featuring what the brand describes as its “next generation touchscreen”, offering “more responsive and user-friendly, requiring fewer inputs to perform frequently used tasks”.
In addition, the new Defender takes Software-Over-The-Air (SOTA) technology to a new level, with 14 individual modules capable of receiving remote updates.
Nick Rogers, executive director, Product Engineering, Jaguar Land Rover, said: "We've embraced Defender's stunning capability and minimalistic, functional interior to reinvent the icon for the 21st century.
“New Defender gives us the licence to do things differently, to push the boundaries and do the unthinkable, without ever losing the character and authenticity of the original.
“From the start we had an absolute obsession with functionality beneath the skin, from choosing the right materials through to state of the art connectivity.
“The result is not only the most capable Land Rover ever made, but also a truly comfortable, modern vehicle that people will love to drive."
More on this: 117 stories
- 2020 Land Rover Defender interior tour and review
- Jaguar Land Rover chief wants alliances, not a merger
- Land Rover's Short Defender 90 Sets Foot In America, Start Froms “Around $50k”
- Land Rover Defender 90 will start 'around $50,000'
- WATCH | New Land Rover Defender retains its original features with a modern twist
- Boston native dedicated to Jaguar Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender teaser video from Daniel Craig's last James Bond film No Time to Die
- New 2021 Range Rover Crossover to arrive with all-electric and hybrid power
- 007 puts the Land Rover Defender through its toughest test yet
- New Land Rover Defender is licensed to thrill
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Does Its Thing In New James Bond Movie
- Land Rover Defender Confirmed To Star In New James Bond Movie
- 2020 Land Rover Defender to join fleet of Aston Martins in new Bond movie
- Land Rover New Defender does extreme stunts in next James Bond film
- New Land Rover Defender on the set of new 007 film 'No Time to Die'
- All-new Range Rover Crossover planned for 2021
- 'No Time to Die' stunt team jumps and rolls new Land Rover Defender for James Bond film
- Jaguar Land Rover unlikely to go smaller than Evoque, E-Pace
- Land Rover Defender "Surf Edition" Will Make You Wish It Was Summer In The Northern Hemisphere
- New electric Range Rover previewed in exclusive images
- Land Rover Considering Defender 90 Commercial Model For The U.S.
- New electric Range Rover takes aim at Bentley and Rolls-Royce
- REVIEW: Range Rover Evoque still a style leader for luxury SUVs
- New Land Rover Defender 90 delivers Rugby World Cup Trophy
- New Land Rover Defender 90 to deliver Rugby World Cup Trophy