Land Rover plans a trip for two young Sprinkbok fans to Japan
Two young rugby fans will enjoy the experience of a lifetime when they lead the Springboks onto the field for Rugby World Cup 2019™ in Japan.
10-year old Kristen Janse van Rensburg and 13-year old Milani Pakade were the lucky winners of a mascot selection clinic held by Land Rover South Africa ahead of the ultimate rugby tournament set to kick off in September.
Land Rover, which is a Worldwide Partner of Rugby World Cup 2019 and South African sponsors of the Springboks, has been given the opportunity to provide mascots for each of the 20 teams set to compete in Japan.
Land Rover South Africa was responsible for choosing two young Springbok supporters who will now lead out the South African national team in two of their matches at the tournament.
The selection process involved a special mascot clinic where a group of rugby fanatics between the ages of 7 and 13 were asked to answer a series of questions about their favourite players.
The two children with the best answers, as judged by Land Rover ambassador and former Springbok Jean de Villiers, were Kristen Janse van Rensburg from Laarskool Garsfontein and Milane Pakade from Woodhill College.
The results were kept secret from the winners for weeks until Jean de Villiers surprised the unsuspecting youngsters with the big news about their upcoming trip in person. Shortly after the emotional reveals Milani and Kristen were chauffeured to their respective schools by De Villiers in a one-of-a-kind Range Rover Sport SVR built in the UK as a tribute to the Springboks.
Kristen, who holds Provincial Colours for athletics and tennis, will carry the Springboks into their clash against Italy. She’s a massive Malcom Marx fan because he’s “big, strong and friendly”,and is especially excited for the journey because she’s never flown in an aeroplane before.
Her message to the Springboks is: “You can do this. Hold hands, teamwork is everything.”
Milani aspires to be a professional rugby player and already has good pedigree after playing Sevens and 15-man games at Woodhill since he was three.
“I’m excited about seeing Japan’s city lights,” says Milani. “One day I’ll tell the story of how when I was 13 Land Rover sent me to Rugby World Cup 2019.”
Milani’s words of encouragement to the Springboks are: “It doesn’t matter if you win or lose, you have made us all proud and you’re all winners for South Africa.”
South African rugby fans can keep an eye out for Milani and Kristen on TV just ahead of the South Africa matches and can participate in the conversation using the #DrivenBeyond hashtag.
From fostering love for the game at grassroots level to supporting the world’s best on the ultimate stage in Japan, no brand understands the spirit of rugby like Land Rover.
More on this: 115 stories
- Land Rover's Short Defender 90 Sets Foot In America, Start Froms “Around $50k”
- Land Rover Defender 90 will start 'around $50,000'
- WATCH | New Land Rover Defender retains its original features with a modern twist
- Boston native dedicated to Jaguar Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender teaser video from Daniel Craig's last James Bond film No Time to Die
- New 2021 Range Rover Crossover to arrive with all-electric and hybrid power
- 007 puts the Land Rover Defender through its toughest test yet
- New Land Rover Defender is licensed to thrill
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Does Its Thing In New James Bond Movie
- Land Rover Defender Confirmed To Star In New James Bond Movie
- 2020 Land Rover Defender to join fleet of Aston Martins in new Bond movie
- Land Rover New Defender does extreme stunts in next James Bond film
- New Land Rover Defender on the set of new 007 film 'No Time to Die'
- All-new Range Rover Crossover planned for 2021
- 'No Time to Die' stunt team jumps and rolls new Land Rover Defender for James Bond film
- Jaguar Land Rover unlikely to go smaller than Evoque, E-Pace
- Land Rover Defender "Surf Edition" Will Make You Wish It Was Summer In The Northern Hemisphere
- New electric Range Rover previewed in exclusive images
- Land Rover Considering Defender 90 Commercial Model For The U.S.
- New electric Range Rover takes aim at Bentley and Rolls-Royce
- REVIEW: Range Rover Evoque still a style leader for luxury SUVs
- New Land Rover Defender 90 delivers Rugby World Cup Trophy
- New Land Rover Defender 90 to deliver Rugby World Cup Trophy
- What the Coming Jeep Wrangler Hybrid and Ford Bronco Hybrid Can Learn From the Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid
- 2020 Land Rover Defender To Get G63-Rivalling SVR Variant?