Land Rover unveils all new version of its iconic Defender
There are few SUVs more famous than the Land Rover Defender, the classic off-roader. Now the British carmaker is hoping to extend the Defender’s illustrious 70-year run with an all-new version unveiled Tuesday at the Frankfurt Motor Show.
It retains the Defender’s famous boxy shape but with more modern lines and new technology. Like a Jeep Wrangler, the Defender is built to withstand serious off-road use even though many buyers will rarely take it beyond the suburbs.
The vehicle incorporates all-new engineering that was subjected to “Extreme Event Test” procedures that went far beyond the sort of testing ordinarily used in the auto industry, according to Land Rover.
The new Defender rides 0.8 inches (2 cm) higher off the road than other Land Rover models and offers a camera system that allows drivers to see what’s passing underneath the front wheels
In addition to its rugged off-road credentials, it offers luxuries such as a 10-inch (25 cm) touch screen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, systems that allow drivers to interact with their phones while driving.
It will initially be offered in the Land Rover 110 range with seating options for up to 7 people. A smaller Land Rover Defender 90 will be available later. Prices for the larger model will start at just under $50,000 when it goes on sale in the Spring.
The SUV’s sharply vertical front and rear along with short overhangs — the distance between the wheels and bumpers — provide it with the ability to drive on and off steep inclines. Its tailgate, hinged on the side rather than the top and complete with spare tire, mark it out as a Defender.
“This is our vision of a modern Defender,” Gerry McGovern, Land Rover’s chief designer, said in a statement.
The Defender will be offered with a color palette unique to the model, Land Rover said. So as not to scratch that paint, it will also be offered with a removable protective plastic film. Other options include a full-length folding fabric sunroof.
This content was republished with permission from CNN.
More on this: 117 stories
- 2020 Land Rover Defender interior tour and review
- Jaguar Land Rover chief wants alliances, not a merger
- Land Rover's Short Defender 90 Sets Foot In America, Start Froms “Around $50k”
- Land Rover Defender 90 will start 'around $50,000'
- WATCH | New Land Rover Defender retains its original features with a modern twist
- Boston native dedicated to Jaguar Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender teaser video from Daniel Craig's last James Bond film No Time to Die
- New 2021 Range Rover Crossover to arrive with all-electric and hybrid power
- 007 puts the Land Rover Defender through its toughest test yet
- New Land Rover Defender is licensed to thrill
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Does Its Thing In New James Bond Movie
- Land Rover Defender Confirmed To Star In New James Bond Movie
- 2020 Land Rover Defender to join fleet of Aston Martins in new Bond movie
- Land Rover New Defender does extreme stunts in next James Bond film
- New Land Rover Defender on the set of new 007 film 'No Time to Die'
- All-new Range Rover Crossover planned for 2021
- 'No Time to Die' stunt team jumps and rolls new Land Rover Defender for James Bond film
- Jaguar Land Rover unlikely to go smaller than Evoque, E-Pace
- Land Rover Defender "Surf Edition" Will Make You Wish It Was Summer In The Northern Hemisphere
- New electric Range Rover previewed in exclusive images
- Land Rover Considering Defender 90 Commercial Model For The U.S.
- New electric Range Rover takes aim at Bentley and Rolls-Royce
- REVIEW: Range Rover Evoque still a style leader for luxury SUVs
- New Land Rover Defender 90 delivers Rugby World Cup Trophy
- New Land Rover Defender 90 to deliver Rugby World Cup Trophy