Jaguar teases electric XJ due in 2020
Jaguar Land Rover's big news for this week's Frankfurt International Motor Show was the redesigned 2020 Land Rover Defender, but the British automaker also snuck in a teaser shot of its electric Jaguar XJ due next year.
The teaser appeared briefly during a speech made by Jaguar Land Rover CEO Ralph Speth, where he said the electric XJ will benefit from all of the lessons learned from Jaguar's I-Pace and Formula E programs.
The teaser doesn't reveal much although we do get a look at the new XJ's taillight graphic which appears similar to the design used on the updated 2020 Jaguar XE. It also appears that the graphic will continue across the full width of the rear.
What we know is that new XJ will be built at the same Castle Bromwich plant in the United Kingdom where the current XJ ceased production back in July. The plant is being transformed into an EV hub for Jaguar Land Rover; it will also be the automaker's main source for batteries and electric motors.
The new XJ will be the first model to ride on Jaguar Land Rover's new Modular Longitudinal Architecture (MLA) platform which will support mild-hybrid, plug-in hybrid and battery-electric powertrains. The platform will eventually underpin most models from the Jaguar and Land Rover brands.
Jaguar Land Rover hasn't said whether there will be versions of the new XJ with internal-combustion power, though according to a report from June we'll see gasoline engines in the new XJ but perhaps not at launch.
For more from the Frankfurt auto show, head to our dedicated hub.
More on this: 117 stories
- 2020 Land Rover Defender interior tour and review
- Jaguar Land Rover chief wants alliances, not a merger
- Land Rover's Short Defender 90 Sets Foot In America, Start Froms “Around $50k”
- Land Rover Defender 90 will start 'around $50,000'
- WATCH | New Land Rover Defender retains its original features with a modern twist
- Boston native dedicated to Jaguar Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender teaser video from Daniel Craig's last James Bond film No Time to Die
- New 2021 Range Rover Crossover to arrive with all-electric and hybrid power
- 007 puts the Land Rover Defender through its toughest test yet
- New Land Rover Defender is licensed to thrill
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Does Its Thing In New James Bond Movie
- Land Rover Defender Confirmed To Star In New James Bond Movie
- 2020 Land Rover Defender to join fleet of Aston Martins in new Bond movie
- Land Rover New Defender does extreme stunts in next James Bond film
- New Land Rover Defender on the set of new 007 film 'No Time to Die'
- All-new Range Rover Crossover planned for 2021
- 'No Time to Die' stunt team jumps and rolls new Land Rover Defender for James Bond film
- Jaguar Land Rover unlikely to go smaller than Evoque, E-Pace
- Land Rover Defender "Surf Edition" Will Make You Wish It Was Summer In The Northern Hemisphere
- New electric Range Rover previewed in exclusive images
- Land Rover Considering Defender 90 Commercial Model For The U.S.
- New electric Range Rover takes aim at Bentley and Rolls-Royce
- REVIEW: Range Rover Evoque still a style leader for luxury SUVs
- New Land Rover Defender 90 delivers Rugby World Cup Trophy
- New Land Rover Defender 90 to deliver Rugby World Cup Trophy