Land Rover Drops Plans For Defender Pickup Truck, Explains Why
There might be bad news for pickup truck fans because Land Rover reportedly is dropping plans to build a four-door pickup (like the old one above) using the upcoming Defender 130 as a starting point. An unnamed, high-level insider from Jaguar Land Rover said the automaker canceled the variant from the future product plan, while speaking with Motoring from Australia. "Why would you buy a dual-cab ute when you see what you can put in the back of one of these – this is already a ute with a roof," the source said as an explanation for the decision.
Gallery: 2020 Land Rover Defender: Frankfurt 2019
Previously leaked documents reveal that in addition to the 90 and 110 that Land Rover intends to launch the bigger 130 version. It allegedly measures 200.7 inches (5.1 meters) long, in comparison to 187.3 inches (4.758 meters) for the 110. They would share a 118.9-in (3.022-meter) wheelbase. The increased size would allow for seating for up to eight occupants, rather than a maximum of seven people for the 110.
While there aren't many details about it, the 130-based, double-cab pickup would presumably have a five-passenger layout, and the area behind the occupants would be for the cargo bed. For comparison, a four-door Ford Ranger SuperCrew measures 210.8 inches (5.35 meters) long, making it roughly 10 inches (25.4 centimeters) longer than the purported specs for the 130.
Even if a pickup isn't part of the plan, Land Rover still has a grand strategy for the new Defender. The four-door 110 comes first in 2020, and the two-door 90 is next. A plug-in hybrid powertrain option is also on the way. Other-the-air software upgrades let the company upgrade the multiple ECUs so that the crossover's abilities can remain at the cutting edge.Source:
More on this: 117 stories
- 2020 Land Rover Defender interior tour and review
- Jaguar Land Rover chief wants alliances, not a merger
- Land Rover's Short Defender 90 Sets Foot In America, Start Froms “Around $50k”
- Land Rover Defender 90 will start 'around $50,000'
- WATCH | New Land Rover Defender retains its original features with a modern twist
- Boston native dedicated to Jaguar Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender teaser video from Daniel Craig's last James Bond film No Time to Die
- New 2021 Range Rover Crossover to arrive with all-electric and hybrid power
- 007 puts the Land Rover Defender through its toughest test yet
- New Land Rover Defender is licensed to thrill
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Does Its Thing In New James Bond Movie
- Land Rover Defender Confirmed To Star In New James Bond Movie
- 2020 Land Rover Defender to join fleet of Aston Martins in new Bond movie
- Land Rover New Defender does extreme stunts in next James Bond film
- New Land Rover Defender on the set of new 007 film 'No Time to Die'
- All-new Range Rover Crossover planned for 2021
- 'No Time to Die' stunt team jumps and rolls new Land Rover Defender for James Bond film
- Jaguar Land Rover unlikely to go smaller than Evoque, E-Pace
- Land Rover Defender "Surf Edition" Will Make You Wish It Was Summer In The Northern Hemisphere
- New electric Range Rover previewed in exclusive images
- Land Rover Considering Defender 90 Commercial Model For The U.S.
- New electric Range Rover takes aim at Bentley and Rolls-Royce
- REVIEW: Range Rover Evoque still a style leader for luxury SUVs
- New Land Rover Defender 90 delivers Rugby World Cup Trophy
- New Land Rover Defender 90 to deliver Rugby World Cup Trophy