New Land Rover Defender gets the Lego treatment
Land Rover’s new 2020 Defender made its long-anticipated debut this week at the Frankfurt Motor Show in two different forms—the three-door 90 and the five-door 110. But a third, smaller variant of the Defender also made its debut this week.
Land Rover teamed up with Lego to create a Defender on a much smaller scale. Although small, the Lego Technic Land Rover Defender has many of the features of the life-size model, and we’re not just talking wheels and headlights.
The Lego Technic Defender features four-wheel independent suspension, working winch, four-wheel drive complete with three differentials, a low-range gearbox, 4-speed sequential gearbox and an inline-6 engine with moving pistons. About the only thing LEGO left off was adaptive cruise control.
“With every Lego element, children can build anything they can imagine. I’m very excited about this new model—a truly impressive job done by our Lego designers,” Niels Henrik Horsted, marketing director at the LEGO Group, sadi in a statement. “Together with Land Rover, we’ve blended elements, design and innovative engineering into a set that shows the boundless creativity of Lego play, and that with Lego Technic you can build for real.”
Of course the 2,573-piece Lego Defender also looks the part with production-correct accessories like a rear-mounted spare tire (which rotates to open the back door), roof rack and exterior storage compartment.
The Lego Defender will be available worldwide on Oct. 1 with a price tag of $199.99, representing a $49,700.01 discount over the real thing.
More on this: 117 stories
- 2020 Land Rover Defender interior tour and review
- Jaguar Land Rover chief wants alliances, not a merger
- Land Rover's Short Defender 90 Sets Foot In America, Start Froms “Around $50k”
- Land Rover Defender 90 will start 'around $50,000'
- WATCH | New Land Rover Defender retains its original features with a modern twist
- Boston native dedicated to Jaguar Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender teaser video from Daniel Craig's last James Bond film No Time to Die
- New 2021 Range Rover Crossover to arrive with all-electric and hybrid power
- 007 puts the Land Rover Defender through its toughest test yet
- New Land Rover Defender is licensed to thrill
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Does Its Thing In New James Bond Movie
- Land Rover Defender Confirmed To Star In New James Bond Movie
- 2020 Land Rover Defender to join fleet of Aston Martins in new Bond movie
- Land Rover New Defender does extreme stunts in next James Bond film
- New Land Rover Defender on the set of new 007 film 'No Time to Die'
- All-new Range Rover Crossover planned for 2021
- 'No Time to Die' stunt team jumps and rolls new Land Rover Defender for James Bond film
- Jaguar Land Rover unlikely to go smaller than Evoque, E-Pace
- Land Rover Defender "Surf Edition" Will Make You Wish It Was Summer In The Northern Hemisphere
- New electric Range Rover previewed in exclusive images
- Land Rover Considering Defender 90 Commercial Model For The U.S.
- New electric Range Rover takes aim at Bentley and Rolls-Royce
- REVIEW: Range Rover Evoque still a style leader for luxury SUVs
- New Land Rover Defender 90 delivers Rugby World Cup Trophy
- New Land Rover Defender 90 to deliver Rugby World Cup Trophy