Is a Land Rover Defender pickup no longer happening?
Land Rover made good on its promise for a second-generation Defender at the 2019 Frankfurt motor show. The Defender landed in Frankfurt in three-door 90 and five-door 110 forms, we reportedly would eventually see a pickup truck based on the new SUV. However, it appears as though those Defender pickup truck dreams may never come to fruition.
A “senior” Land Rover Jaguar source told Australia’s Car Sales on the sidelines of the Frankfurt show that plans for the Defender-based pickup have been scrapped. The four-door pickup was slated to be based on the upcoming long-wheelbase version of the Defender, known as the 130.
"Why would you buy a dual-cab ute when you see what you can put in the back of one of these—this is already a ute with a roof,” the insider said.
Although a Defender-based pickup truck would have been cool, Land Rover’s decision to bin the model doesn’t have an impact in the U.S. The new Defender is made in Slovakia, which means a pickup truck version of the SUV would have been subject to the United States’ Chicken Tax, which slaps a 25 percent tariff on all foreign-made trucks. Even with the U.S.’ insatiable appetite for pickups, a $65,000 base model Defender pickup would have been a hard sell.
Both the Defender 90 and 110 will be sold in the U.S. The 110 model is available for order now with a starting price of about $50,000. The Defender 90 will arrive sometime down the line with a slightly lower price point.
More on this: 117 stories
- 2020 Land Rover Defender interior tour and review
- Jaguar Land Rover chief wants alliances, not a merger
- Land Rover's Short Defender 90 Sets Foot In America, Start Froms “Around $50k”
- Land Rover Defender 90 will start 'around $50,000'
- WATCH | New Land Rover Defender retains its original features with a modern twist
- Boston native dedicated to Jaguar Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender teaser video from Daniel Craig's last James Bond film No Time to Die
- New 2021 Range Rover Crossover to arrive with all-electric and hybrid power
- 007 puts the Land Rover Defender through its toughest test yet
- New Land Rover Defender is licensed to thrill
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Does Its Thing In New James Bond Movie
- Land Rover Defender Confirmed To Star In New James Bond Movie
- 2020 Land Rover Defender to join fleet of Aston Martins in new Bond movie
- Land Rover New Defender does extreme stunts in next James Bond film
- New Land Rover Defender on the set of new 007 film 'No Time to Die'
- All-new Range Rover Crossover planned for 2021
- 'No Time to Die' stunt team jumps and rolls new Land Rover Defender for James Bond film
- Jaguar Land Rover unlikely to go smaller than Evoque, E-Pace
- Land Rover Defender "Surf Edition" Will Make You Wish It Was Summer In The Northern Hemisphere
- New electric Range Rover previewed in exclusive images
- Land Rover Considering Defender 90 Commercial Model For The U.S.
- New electric Range Rover takes aim at Bentley and Rolls-Royce
- REVIEW: Range Rover Evoque still a style leader for luxury SUVs
- New Land Rover Defender 90 delivers Rugby World Cup Trophy
- New Land Rover Defender 90 to deliver Rugby World Cup Trophy