Lego launches Technic Land Rover Defender set
The reveal of the new Land Rover Defender has caused a sensation around the motoring world this week and Lego has added to the excitement of the launch (for a certain selection of fans at least) with the announcement of its own version of the car.
Revealed, just like the real thing, at the 2019 Frankfurt Motor Show, the Lego Technic Land Rover Defender is a scaled down version of the 2020 model designed to appeal to Lego fans and Land Rover enthusiasts of all ages.
Despite the iconic boxy Defender shape being a perfect fit for the brick-base construction toy, this is the first official tie-up between the companies.
The 2,573-piece set was developed in partnership with Land Rover and closely follows the new car’s instantly recognisable silhouette.
It also recreates many of the real car’s features including a working four-wheel drive system with three differentials, fully independent suspension and a working winch. It also gets Technic’s most sophisticated gearbox ever with high- and low-range settings, although unlike the real thing the Lego model has a four-speed sequential ‘box.
It’s also loaded with accessories from the Defender’s options list such as a working winch, removable roof rack with storage box, pannier, ladder and traction mats so you can go on your own miniature off-road adventures around the garden.
Joe Sinclair, director of branded goods and licensing at Jaguar Land Rover, said: “The Land Rover Defender and Lego brand are both iconic across the world, and the launch of New Defender felt like the perfect time to bring them together.
“The level of detail and engineering that has gone into creating this Lego model perfectly reflects the work of our own designers and engineers who have been so dedicated to bringing a motoring icon back for the 21st century.”
The Lego Land Rover Defender goes on sale around the world on October 1 and has just shot its way to the top of our Christmas list.
More on this: 117 stories
- 2020 Land Rover Defender interior tour and review
- Jaguar Land Rover chief wants alliances, not a merger
- Land Rover's Short Defender 90 Sets Foot In America, Start Froms “Around $50k”
- Land Rover Defender 90 will start 'around $50,000'
- WATCH | New Land Rover Defender retains its original features with a modern twist
- Boston native dedicated to Jaguar Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender teaser video from Daniel Craig's last James Bond film No Time to Die
- New 2021 Range Rover Crossover to arrive with all-electric and hybrid power
- 007 puts the Land Rover Defender through its toughest test yet
- New Land Rover Defender is licensed to thrill
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Does Its Thing In New James Bond Movie
- Land Rover Defender Confirmed To Star In New James Bond Movie
- 2020 Land Rover Defender to join fleet of Aston Martins in new Bond movie
- Land Rover New Defender does extreme stunts in next James Bond film
- New Land Rover Defender on the set of new 007 film 'No Time to Die'
- All-new Range Rover Crossover planned for 2021
- 'No Time to Die' stunt team jumps and rolls new Land Rover Defender for James Bond film
- Jaguar Land Rover unlikely to go smaller than Evoque, E-Pace
- Land Rover Defender "Surf Edition" Will Make You Wish It Was Summer In The Northern Hemisphere
- New electric Range Rover previewed in exclusive images
- Land Rover Considering Defender 90 Commercial Model For The U.S.
- New electric Range Rover takes aim at Bentley and Rolls-Royce
- REVIEW: Range Rover Evoque still a style leader for luxury SUVs
- New Land Rover Defender 90 delivers Rugby World Cup Trophy
- New Land Rover Defender 90 to deliver Rugby World Cup Trophy