New Defender Rendered As A Commanding Convertible
With Land Rover finally pulling the cover off of the new 2020 Defender in Frankfurt, our minds are now running wild with possibilities. Confirmed is that the new Defender is coming to the U.S. market in two sizes, the two-door Defender 90, and the bigger four-door Defender 110. This alone is enough news to make American off-road lovers rejoice, but the Defender possibilities go way beyond that.
We recently published a look at what a two-door Defender truck looks like, and it’s safe to say that the good people of Motor1.com are firmly on board. Unfortunately, Land Rover has no plans to build such a rig, but in the event that they change their mind, I will take mine in base spec with steel wheels. But if we're talking potential Defender spin-off models, one other creation comes to mind: a convertible.
Of course, Land Rover produced soft top Defender models in the past, so a new model isn’t too far outside the realm of possibility. And thanks to this rendering from X-Tomi Design, we don’t have to try very hard to imagine what such a car could look like. At first glance, I'm reminded of the (love it or hate it) Range Rover Evoque Convertible with its stout, squared-off side profile. But the Defender’s rugged nature gives it the edge over the softer, weirder topless Evoque.
Land Rover is offering a full-length fabric folding roof on the Defender, which is similar to that found in the Jeep Wrangler. And although it isn’t a full open-top, it retracts nearly the full length of the cabin, allowing passengers to get their taste of the outdoors. But even with this on offer, one can’t help but dream of a full convertible experience in the Defender. Maybe that's coming in the future, but for now, we’re grateful that the brutish Brit is coming stateside in any form.
Source: X-Tomi Design
Gallery: 2020 Land Rover Defender: Frankfurt 2019
More on this: 68 stories
- Land Rover planning small and luxury Defender models
- Inchcape opens JLR dealership on former Derby Cattle Market site
- Return of Defender Opens Door to Bargain-basement Land Rover, Report Claims
- Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic Black Edition Is A UK-Only Affair
- Land Rover plotting baby Defender to take on Suzuki Jimny
- Overfinch creates a 450bhp soft-top Land Rover Defender 90 for £240k
- Land Rover Defender By Overfinch Is A Green Gem With Massive Engine
- New Land Rover Defender appears on the set of new 007 film 'No Time to Die'
- Land Rover may be planning a $33,000 small SUV based on Defender
- Land Rover Said To Be Developing Budget Off-Roader And Luxury Defender
- Aston Martin DB5, Vantage and DBS Superleggera star in new James Bond 'No Time to Die' trailer
- New Land Rover Defender: full specs and details on the 2020 off-road icon
- Land Rover Defender Still Rugged But Refined, JLR Says
- The new Land Rover Defender lands a role in the upcoming 007 movie
- Road test: Land Rover Discovery Sport
- Revised 2020 Jaguar E-Pace mule caught on camera
- Land Rover Defender Poised for Comeback
- 2020 Land Rover Defender interior tour and review
- Jaguar Land Rover chief wants alliances, not a merger
- Land Rover's Short Defender 90 Sets Foot In America, Start Froms “Around $50k”
- Land Rover Defender 90 will start 'around $50,000'
- WATCH | New Land Rover Defender retains its original features with a modern twist
- Boston native dedicated to Jaguar Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender teaser video from Daniel Craig's last James Bond film No Time to Die
- New 2021 Range Rover Crossover to arrive with all-electric and hybrid power