Too Bad Land Rover Dropped Plans For A 2020 Defender Pickup, Isn't It?
The all-new 2020 Land Rover Defender will offer one of the most complex lineups in the industry.
The range will include three body styles (90, 110, 130), six powertrains, four accessory packs, 170 individual accessories (including a folding fabric roof for the 110), and even a Commercial model. There will be a new Defender for everyone, apparently.
Something the new Defender won’t offer is a pickup version, though. Unfortunately for fans of rugged pickups, it turns out that Land Rover scrapped plans to build a dual-cab truck based on the forthcoming Defender 130. A senior Jaguar Land Rover source told Australia’s Carsales that the pickup derivative had been dropped from the SUV specialist’s plans.
Originally, Land Rover planned to launch the Defender pickup in late 2020 or early 2021 based on the upcoming Defender 130 SUV which reportedly will measure 5,100 mm (130 inches) in length. However, plans have changed since then as JLR bosses deemed a Defender pickup would be redundant.
“Why would you buy a dual-cab ute when you see what you can put in the back of one of these – this is already a ute with a roof,” the unnamed JLR insider told Carsales at the Frankfurt Motor Show.
If you want to know what we’ll be missing, rendering artist X-Tomi has digitally converted the recently unveiled 2020 Defender 110 SUV into a single cab pickup. Mind you, it’s not the exact type of pickup body Land Rover originally had in mind but the rendering offers us a pretty good idea of what a new Defender pickup would look like. So, what do you think, did Land Rover make a good decision or wasted a good opportunity of making more money?
More on this: 68 stories
- Land Rover planning small and luxury Defender models
- Inchcape opens JLR dealership on former Derby Cattle Market site
- Return of Defender Opens Door to Bargain-basement Land Rover, Report Claims
- Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic Black Edition Is A UK-Only Affair
- Land Rover plotting baby Defender to take on Suzuki Jimny
- Overfinch creates a 450bhp soft-top Land Rover Defender 90 for £240k
- Land Rover Defender By Overfinch Is A Green Gem With Massive Engine
- New Land Rover Defender appears on the set of new 007 film 'No Time to Die'
- Land Rover may be planning a $33,000 small SUV based on Defender
- Land Rover Said To Be Developing Budget Off-Roader And Luxury Defender
- Aston Martin DB5, Vantage and DBS Superleggera star in new James Bond 'No Time to Die' trailer
- New Land Rover Defender: full specs and details on the 2020 off-road icon
- Land Rover Defender Still Rugged But Refined, JLR Says
- The new Land Rover Defender lands a role in the upcoming 007 movie
- Road test: Land Rover Discovery Sport
- Revised 2020 Jaguar E-Pace mule caught on camera
- Land Rover Defender Poised for Comeback
- 2020 Land Rover Defender interior tour and review
- Jaguar Land Rover chief wants alliances, not a merger
- Land Rover's Short Defender 90 Sets Foot In America, Start Froms “Around $50k”
- Land Rover Defender 90 will start 'around $50,000'
- WATCH | New Land Rover Defender retains its original features with a modern twist
- Boston native dedicated to Jaguar Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender teaser video from Daniel Craig's last James Bond film No Time to Die
- New 2021 Range Rover Crossover to arrive with all-electric and hybrid power