2020 Land Rover Defender To Get G63-Rivalling SVR Variant?
Land Rover has reportedly already developed a running prototype of the Defender SVR at its engineering base in Gaydon. It is believed that the vehicle will feature a twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V8 from BMW, thanks to a recent technical supply deal reached between the two premium car manufacturers. This engine will later be introduced across the Jaguar Land Rover family, replacing the aging 5.0-liter supercharged V8.
In the X5 M and M8 this mill delivers a very impressive 616 HP, but will likely be capped to around 500 for use in the Defender SVR. It will be mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission powering all four wheels.
The report also states that the aluminum-intensive platform used by the latest-generation Defender will make it relatively easy for engineers to develop the SVR. An air suspension is tipped to come as standard, as is a tweaked Terrain Response 2 system that will reportedly include a track mode for sportier handling.
Visually, the Defender SVR will allegedly be more aggressive than lesser models. For example, there will be massive 22-inch alloy wheels, flared wheel arches, revised bumpers, enlarged air intakes, and a distinctive hood. Although the new Defender will eventually be available in three variants, only the four-door, 110 model is thought to be getting the SVR treatment, with its launch expected towards the end of 2021.
More on this: 77 stories
- 2020 Land Rover Discovery spied with hybrid power in pipeline
- Arkonik Turns 90's Land Rover Defender Into Impossibly Cool Beach Buggy
- Road test review: Land Rover Discovery Sport
- Expanding the portfolio: Jaguar Land Rover acquires Bowler
- Land Rover Defender claims world-first dual eSIM connectivity
- Could this 1997 Land Rover Defender really sell for $250,000 at auction?
- Land Rover Defender: Land Rover showcases Defender SUV's dual eSIM connectivity at CES 2020, Auto News, ET Auto
- Defender shows off new JLR infotainment
- Land Rover Defender showcases connectivity tech at CES
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Tackles CES With Dual LTE Modems And Over-The-Air Updates
- Jaguar Land Rover debuts new Pivi Pro infotainment at CES 2020
- 2020 Land Rover Defender to stay connected anywhere
- Qualcomm Seems Poised for More Jaguar Land Rover Business
- Himalaya Thinks Its LS3-Powered Land Rover Defender 110 Pickup Is Worth $250k
- How did Autocar's 2019 predictions fare?
- Land Rover Defender Project Blackcomb Is Both Elegant And Tough
- Land Rover's Mike Cross Puts The New Defender Through High-Speed Tests
- This 1988 Modded Land Rover Defender Is Ruggedness At Its Best
- New 2020 Land Rover Defender: full details, specs and pics
- Jaguar Land Rover has bought off-road specialists Bowler
- The new Land Rover Defender has gone into production
- Jaguar Land Rover Acquires Bowler, The Famous Off-Road Specialist
- Jaguar Land Rover buys off-road racing specialist Bowler
- Bowler Officially Joins The Jaguar Land Rover Family
- Range Rover Sport SVR Has No Chance Against Mercedes-AMG G63