Land Rover Defender SVR reportedly in the works with BMW twin-turbo V-8
Could one of the first beneficiaries of BMW and Jaguar Land Rover's next round of collaboration be a Defender sporting a twin-turbocharged V-8 sourced from the German automaker?
A report from the United Kingdom early Friday points to a Land Rover Defender packing a 500-horsepower, 4.4-liter BMW V-8 that would give it the punch to go toe-to-toe with the Mercedes-AMG G63.
According to Auto Express, a running prototype of this new high-output Defender is already being tested at Land Rover's engineering facility in the U.K.
BMW and JLR have already confirmed that they plan to collaborate on future powertrains—both ICE and electric. Vehicle architecture is expected to be the next focus of joint development as Jaguar especially wants to expand its lineup of small SUVs and crossovers.
2019 BMW 5-Series (M550i xDrive)
For the past several years, JLR has sourced engines from former parent company Ford and has looked for new partnerships in this arena since completing in-house development on its Ingenium line of inline engines.
A Defender SVR would be new territory for Land Rover, and puts its engineers in the position of playing catch-up to Mercedes-Benz, which has been building high-output G-Wagens for nearly two decades.
Fortunately, Land Rover is no stranger to putting beefy engines into SUVs, but most of its experience has been on the luxury side of the equation. The Range Rover line has carried the performance banner for Land Rover for years, and the current Sport SVR model can be equipped with a 575-horsepower supercharged V-8.
We expect this to be the tip of the iceberg for BMW and JLR engine collaboration, and this 4.4-liter V-8 could make its way under the hood of multiple Jaguar and Land Rover models in the next few years.
More on this: 77 stories
- 2020 Land Rover Discovery spied with hybrid power in pipeline
- Arkonik Turns 90's Land Rover Defender Into Impossibly Cool Beach Buggy
- Road test review: Land Rover Discovery Sport
- Expanding the portfolio: Jaguar Land Rover acquires Bowler
- Land Rover Defender claims world-first dual eSIM connectivity
- Could this 1997 Land Rover Defender really sell for $250,000 at auction?
- Land Rover Defender: Land Rover showcases Defender SUV's dual eSIM connectivity at CES 2020, Auto News, ET Auto
- Defender shows off new JLR infotainment
- Land Rover Defender showcases connectivity tech at CES
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Tackles CES With Dual LTE Modems And Over-The-Air Updates
- Jaguar Land Rover debuts new Pivi Pro infotainment at CES 2020
- 2020 Land Rover Defender to stay connected anywhere
- Qualcomm Seems Poised for More Jaguar Land Rover Business
- Himalaya Thinks Its LS3-Powered Land Rover Defender 110 Pickup Is Worth $250k
- How did Autocar's 2019 predictions fare?
- Land Rover Defender Project Blackcomb Is Both Elegant And Tough
- Land Rover's Mike Cross Puts The New Defender Through High-Speed Tests
- This 1988 Modded Land Rover Defender Is Ruggedness At Its Best
- New 2020 Land Rover Defender: full details, specs and pics
- Jaguar Land Rover has bought off-road specialists Bowler
- The new Land Rover Defender has gone into production
- Jaguar Land Rover Acquires Bowler, The Famous Off-Road Specialist
- Jaguar Land Rover buys off-road racing specialist Bowler
- Bowler Officially Joins The Jaguar Land Rover Family
- Range Rover Sport SVR Has No Chance Against Mercedes-AMG G63