Land Rover Defender SVR reportedly in the works with BMW twin-turbo V-8
Could one of the first beneficiaries of BMW and Jaguar Land Rover's next round of collaboration be a Defender sporting a twin-turbocharged V-8 sourced from the German automaker?
A report from the United Kingdom early Friday points to a Land Rover Defender packing a 500-horsepower, 4.4-liter BMW V-8 that would give it the punch to go toe-to-toe with the Mercedes-AMG G63.
According to Auto Express, a running prototype of this new high-output Defender is already being tested at Land Rover's engineering facility in the U.K.
BMW and JLR have already confirmed that they plan to collaborate on future powertrains—both ICE and electric. Vehicle architecture is expected to be the next focus of joint development as Jaguar especially wants to expand its lineup of small SUVs and crossovers.
2019 BMW 5-Series (M550i xDrive)
For the past several years, JLR has sourced engines from former parent company Ford and has looked for new partnerships in this arena since completing in-house development on its Ingenium line of inline engines.
A Defender SVR would be new territory for Land Rover, and puts its engineers in the position of playing catch-up to Mercedes-Benz, which has been building high-output G-Wagens for nearly two decades.
Fortunately, Land Rover is no stranger to putting beefy engines into SUVs, but most of its experience has been on the luxury side of the equation. The Range Rover line has carried the performance banner for Land Rover for years, and the current Sport SVR model can be equipped with a 575-horsepower supercharged V-8.
We expect this to be the tip of the iceberg for BMW and JLR engine collaboration, and this 4.4-liter V-8 could make its way under the hood of multiple Jaguar and Land Rover models in the next few years.
More on this: 115 stories
- Land Rover's Short Defender 90 Sets Foot In America, Start Froms “Around $50k”
- Land Rover Defender 90 will start 'around $50,000'
- WATCH | New Land Rover Defender retains its original features with a modern twist
- Boston native dedicated to Jaguar Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender teaser video from Daniel Craig's last James Bond film No Time to Die
- New 2021 Range Rover Crossover to arrive with all-electric and hybrid power
- 007 puts the Land Rover Defender through its toughest test yet
- New Land Rover Defender is licensed to thrill
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Does Its Thing In New James Bond Movie
- Land Rover Defender Confirmed To Star In New James Bond Movie
- 2020 Land Rover Defender to join fleet of Aston Martins in new Bond movie
- Land Rover New Defender does extreme stunts in next James Bond film
- New Land Rover Defender on the set of new 007 film 'No Time to Die'
- All-new Range Rover Crossover planned for 2021
- 'No Time to Die' stunt team jumps and rolls new Land Rover Defender for James Bond film
- Jaguar Land Rover unlikely to go smaller than Evoque, E-Pace
- Land Rover Defender "Surf Edition" Will Make You Wish It Was Summer In The Northern Hemisphere
- New electric Range Rover previewed in exclusive images
- Land Rover Considering Defender 90 Commercial Model For The U.S.
- New electric Range Rover takes aim at Bentley and Rolls-Royce
- REVIEW: Range Rover Evoque still a style leader for luxury SUVs
- New Land Rover Defender 90 delivers Rugby World Cup Trophy
- New Land Rover Defender 90 to deliver Rugby World Cup Trophy
- What the Coming Jeep Wrangler Hybrid and Ford Bronco Hybrid Can Learn From the Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid
- 2020 Land Rover Defender To Get G63-Rivalling SVR Variant?