Land Rover Defender SVR To Get BMW Engine With 500 Horsepower?
It’s a known fact that Land Rover has some big plans for the Defender’s lineup expansion, and while those won’t include a pickup, a high-performance version is apparently on its way. An interesting report published by British magazine Auto Express claims an amped-up version of the resurrected off-roader will take advantage of the partnership between Land Rover and BMW.
The sportier Defender is likely to receive the “SVR” badge in the same vein as JLR’s other high-performance models such as the Range Rover SVR, F-Pace SVR, and the F-Type SVR, with an electric I-Pace SVR on its way. Much like Jag’s flagship coupe is expected to get BMW’s twin-turbo 4.4-liter engine, the yet-to-be-confirmed range topper of the Defender lineup could borrow Bavaria’s V8 powerhouse.
Gallery: 2020 Land Rover Defender: Frankfurt 2019
The report alleges Land Rover has already built a prototype of the Defender SVR with help coming from JLR’s skilled Special Vehicle Operations (SVO) division. While the BMW engine currently pumps out as much as 616 horsepower in the BMW X5 M and maybe even more in the recently spotted M5 CS, it might be toned down to about 500 hp. Auto Express says the hotter Defender aims to go after the AMG G63, although Mercedes’ boxy SUV offers a more substantial 577 hp.
Unsurprisingly, the report goes on to mention Land Rover’s speedy SUV will be based on the Defender 110 with standard four-wheel drive, an eight-speed automatic transmission, and air suspension. The engineers might add a dedicated Track Mode to the vehicle’s Terrain Response 2 system as well as install bigger brakes behind larger wheels.
If everything goes according to the plan, Land Rover will supposedly introduce the Defender SVR in roughly two years from now. Meanwhile, a longer and more luxurious Defender 130 is expected to break cover in the second half of 2020 with eight seats.
More on this: 77 stories
- 2020 Land Rover Discovery spied with hybrid power in pipeline
- Arkonik Turns 90's Land Rover Defender Into Impossibly Cool Beach Buggy
- Road test review: Land Rover Discovery Sport
- Expanding the portfolio: Jaguar Land Rover acquires Bowler
- Land Rover Defender claims world-first dual eSIM connectivity
- Could this 1997 Land Rover Defender really sell for $250,000 at auction?
- Land Rover Defender: Land Rover showcases Defender SUV's dual eSIM connectivity at CES 2020, Auto News, ET Auto
- Defender shows off new JLR infotainment
- Land Rover Defender showcases connectivity tech at CES
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Tackles CES With Dual LTE Modems And Over-The-Air Updates
- Jaguar Land Rover debuts new Pivi Pro infotainment at CES 2020
- 2020 Land Rover Defender to stay connected anywhere
- Qualcomm Seems Poised for More Jaguar Land Rover Business
- Himalaya Thinks Its LS3-Powered Land Rover Defender 110 Pickup Is Worth $250k
- How did Autocar's 2019 predictions fare?
- Land Rover Defender Project Blackcomb Is Both Elegant And Tough
- Land Rover's Mike Cross Puts The New Defender Through High-Speed Tests
- This 1988 Modded Land Rover Defender Is Ruggedness At Its Best
- New 2020 Land Rover Defender: full details, specs and pics
- Jaguar Land Rover has bought off-road specialists Bowler
- The new Land Rover Defender has gone into production
- Jaguar Land Rover Acquires Bowler, The Famous Off-Road Specialist
- Jaguar Land Rover buys off-road racing specialist Bowler
- Bowler Officially Joins The Jaguar Land Rover Family
- Range Rover Sport SVR Has No Chance Against Mercedes-AMG G63