Land Rover Defender SVR To Get BMW Engine With 500 Horsepower?
It’s a known fact that Land Rover has some big plans for the Defender’s lineup expansion, and while those won’t include a pickup, a high-performance version is apparently on its way. An interesting report published by British magazine Auto Express claims an amped-up version of the resurrected off-roader will take advantage of the partnership between Land Rover and BMW.
The sportier Defender is likely to receive the “SVR” badge in the same vein as JLR’s other high-performance models such as the Range Rover SVR, F-Pace SVR, and the F-Type SVR, with an electric I-Pace SVR on its way. Much like Jag’s flagship coupe is expected to get BMW’s twin-turbo 4.4-liter engine, the yet-to-be-confirmed range topper of the Defender lineup could borrow Bavaria’s V8 powerhouse.
Gallery: 2020 Land Rover Defender: Frankfurt 2019
The report alleges Land Rover has already built a prototype of the Defender SVR with help coming from JLR’s skilled Special Vehicle Operations (SVO) division. While the BMW engine currently pumps out as much as 616 horsepower in the BMW X5 M and maybe even more in the recently spotted M5 CS, it might be toned down to about 500 hp. Auto Express says the hotter Defender aims to go after the AMG G63, although Mercedes’ boxy SUV offers a more substantial 577 hp.
Unsurprisingly, the report goes on to mention Land Rover’s speedy SUV will be based on the Defender 110 with standard four-wheel drive, an eight-speed automatic transmission, and air suspension. The engineers might add a dedicated Track Mode to the vehicle’s Terrain Response 2 system as well as install bigger brakes behind larger wheels.
If everything goes according to the plan, Land Rover will supposedly introduce the Defender SVR in roughly two years from now. Meanwhile, a longer and more luxurious Defender 130 is expected to break cover in the second half of 2020 with eight seats.
More on this: 115 stories
- Land Rover's Short Defender 90 Sets Foot In America, Start Froms “Around $50k”
- Land Rover Defender 90 will start 'around $50,000'
- WATCH | New Land Rover Defender retains its original features with a modern twist
- Boston native dedicated to Jaguar Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender teaser video from Daniel Craig's last James Bond film No Time to Die
- New 2021 Range Rover Crossover to arrive with all-electric and hybrid power
- 007 puts the Land Rover Defender through its toughest test yet
- New Land Rover Defender is licensed to thrill
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Does Its Thing In New James Bond Movie
- Land Rover Defender Confirmed To Star In New James Bond Movie
- 2020 Land Rover Defender to join fleet of Aston Martins in new Bond movie
- Land Rover New Defender does extreme stunts in next James Bond film
- New Land Rover Defender on the set of new 007 film 'No Time to Die'
- All-new Range Rover Crossover planned for 2021
- 'No Time to Die' stunt team jumps and rolls new Land Rover Defender for James Bond film
- Jaguar Land Rover unlikely to go smaller than Evoque, E-Pace
- Land Rover Defender "Surf Edition" Will Make You Wish It Was Summer In The Northern Hemisphere
- New electric Range Rover previewed in exclusive images
- Land Rover Considering Defender 90 Commercial Model For The U.S.
- New electric Range Rover takes aim at Bentley and Rolls-Royce
- REVIEW: Range Rover Evoque still a style leader for luxury SUVs
- New Land Rover Defender 90 delivers Rugby World Cup Trophy
- New Land Rover Defender 90 to deliver Rugby World Cup Trophy
- What the Coming Jeep Wrangler Hybrid and Ford Bronco Hybrid Can Learn From the Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid
- 2020 Land Rover Defender To Get G63-Rivalling SVR Variant?