New electric Range Rover previewed in exclusive images
The next Range Rover SUV will be available with a choice of mild-hybrid, plug-in hybrid and fully electric powertrains, and our exclusive images suggest how the car might look. It’s due to arrive in 2021 and will be positioned to take on ultra-luxurious SUVs including the Bentley Bentayga, Rolls-Royce Cullinan and Aston Martin DBX.
In pushing the Range Rover more upmarket, Land Rover is completely overhauling its halo model. It’ll sit on a brand-new ‘MLA’ platform designed to accommodate a range of electrified powertrains, and will get a more exclusive look to set it apart from the company’s less expensive models.
Land Rover’s engineers have been working on this project for the last year or so, but the disguised prototypes don’t give much away in terms of styling or interior changes.
We do know that Land Rover’s designers have toyed with a complete redesign for the 2021 electric Range Rover, as the absence of an engine up front meant it could have had a shorter nose. But the styling is likely to be evolutionary instead - after all, there will still be models offered with conventional engines.
Land Rover also said the Range Rover was in danger of looking like a bus or a van if the bonnet was made much shorter, so the new car will retain familiar proportions in order to appeal to existing customers. The same approach was adopted for the updated Range Rover Evoque and Range Rover Sport.
The new MLA platform allows an electric motor to be placed on each axle to give the car four-wheel drive. A battery up to 100kWh in size can be fitted, which would give the electric Range Rover a range of over 300 miles between charges. Fast-charging should be fitted as standard, so you’ll be able to recharge to 80% capacity in under an hour.
All versions - electric, hybrid and diesel - of the Range Rover will be built at Jaguar Land Rover’s Solihull factory, following a £500 million investment in the plant in 2018.
More on this: 115 stories
- Land Rover's Short Defender 90 Sets Foot In America, Start Froms “Around $50k”
- Land Rover Defender 90 will start 'around $50,000'
- WATCH | New Land Rover Defender retains its original features with a modern twist
- Boston native dedicated to Jaguar Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender teaser video from Daniel Craig's last James Bond film No Time to Die
- New 2021 Range Rover Crossover to arrive with all-electric and hybrid power
- 007 puts the Land Rover Defender through its toughest test yet
- New Land Rover Defender is licensed to thrill
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Does Its Thing In New James Bond Movie
- Land Rover Defender Confirmed To Star In New James Bond Movie
- 2020 Land Rover Defender to join fleet of Aston Martins in new Bond movie
- Land Rover New Defender does extreme stunts in next James Bond film
- New Land Rover Defender on the set of new 007 film 'No Time to Die'
- All-new Range Rover Crossover planned for 2021
- 'No Time to Die' stunt team jumps and rolls new Land Rover Defender for James Bond film
- Jaguar Land Rover unlikely to go smaller than Evoque, E-Pace
- Land Rover Defender "Surf Edition" Will Make You Wish It Was Summer In The Northern Hemisphere
- Land Rover Considering Defender 90 Commercial Model For The U.S.
- New electric Range Rover takes aim at Bentley and Rolls-Royce
- REVIEW: Range Rover Evoque still a style leader for luxury SUVs
- New Land Rover Defender 90 delivers Rugby World Cup Trophy
- New Land Rover Defender 90 to deliver Rugby World Cup Trophy
- What the Coming Jeep Wrangler Hybrid and Ford Bronco Hybrid Can Learn From the Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid
- 2020 Land Rover Defender To Get G63-Rivalling SVR Variant?
- Land Rover Defender SVR To Get BMW Engine With 500 Horsepower?