Jaguar Land Rover unlikely to go smaller than Evoque, E-Pace
There have been several official hints of subcompact offerings over the years, with Jaguar revealing as recently as July it was considering a subcompact SUV to be called either an A-Pace or B-Pace. However, a senior official has now downplayed the chances of a subcompact happening.
In an interview with Autocar published on Tuesday, Jaguar Land Rover Chief Commercial Officer Felix Brautigam said going smaller was not necessary for the automaker.
2020 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque
“We should not and will not drive down into segments just to get economy of scale,” he said. “An Evoque is 4.37 meters and a Golf is 4.3 m. It’s Golf sized.”
With strict emissions and safety regulations requiring expensive technologies to be fitted to new cars, building small cars in the lower volumes normally experienced at premium brands at a profit can be challenging. One solution could be to share development with another automaker, though given Brautigam's comments, it appears Jaguar Land Rover isn't keen on going down this route, at least for the time being.
Jaguar Land Rover is currently focused on its models at the upper end. Jaguar will introduce a redesigned XJ with battery-electric power next year and there are rumors a Land Rover soft-roader twinned with the Jaguar flagship sedan is also coming. Jaguar will also add the 3-row J-Pace mid-size SUV to its lineup in the not too distant future.
More on this: 109 stories
- Aston Martin DB5, Vantage and DBS Superleggera star in new James Bond 'No Time to Die' trailer
- New Land Rover Defender: full specs and details on the 2020 off-road icon
- All new Jaguars and Land Rovers will get over-the-air updates
- Pricing! 24 special-edition Range Rover Sport units for SA...
- Land Rover Defender Still Rugged But Refined, JLR Says
- The new Land Rover Defender lands a role in the upcoming 007 movie
- Road test: Land Rover Discovery Sport
- Revised 2020 Jaguar E-Pace mule caught on camera
- Land Rover Defender Poised for Comeback
- 2020 Land Rover Defender interior tour and review
- Jaguar Land Rover chief wants alliances, not a merger
- Land Rover's Short Defender 90 Sets Foot In America, Start Froms “Around $50k”
- Land Rover Defender 90 will start 'around $50,000'
- WATCH | New Land Rover Defender retains its original features with a modern twist
- Boston native dedicated to Jaguar Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender teaser video from Daniel Craig's last James Bond film No Time to Die
- New 2021 Range Rover Crossover to arrive with all-electric and hybrid power
- 007 puts the Land Rover Defender through its toughest test yet
- New Land Rover Defender is licensed to thrill
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Does Its Thing In New James Bond Movie
- Land Rover Defender Confirmed To Star In New James Bond Movie
- 2020 Land Rover Defender to join fleet of Aston Martins in new Bond movie
- Land Rover New Defender does extreme stunts in next James Bond film
- New Land Rover Defender on the set of new 007 film 'No Time to Die'
- All-new Range Rover Crossover planned for 2021