2020 Land Rover Defender to join fleet of Aston Martins in new Bond movie
It only made its debut in September at the Frankfurt International Motor Show, but Land Rover's new Defender was already out and about for filming of the upcoming James Bond movie “No Time to Die” a year ago.
Land Rover on Wednesday gave us a look at the 4-door Defender 110 models used as stunt vehicles for the movie. Hired to do the driving was Jess Hawkins, a British racing driver and professional stunt driver whose CV includes several movies as well as the “Fast and Furious”-themed live action show.
A video from Land Rover reveals the tough conditions the stunt vehicles faced, which thankfully the Defender was able to handle due to its high ground clearance, off-road suspension, and massive 35 inches of wading depth. If you like the darkened look of the vehicles, Land Rover said they feature Santorini Black exteriors, darkened skid pans, and 20-inch wheels with off-road tires.
Since Eon Productions, the film production company behind the James Bond franchise, needed the vehicles a year ago, Land Rover supplied the first Defenders built at the plant in Nitra, Slovakia, that the new Defender calls home. Land Rover has a close relationship with Eon Productions and as a result we'll see three other Land Rover models in the new movie. The others are a Range Rover Sport SVR, Land Rover Series III and a Range Rover Classic.
Another automaker with close ties to Eon Productions is Aston Martin, a relationship that was first forged when a Silver Birch DB5 appeared in 1964's "Goldfinger." In "No Time to Die," four Aston Martins will appear. They include the DB5, the original V8 Vantage, a DBS Superleggera, and the upcoming Valhalla.
“No Time to Die” will star Daniel Craig in the lead role and is set to hit theaters on April 8, 2020. The new Defender is also due to reach dealers next year.
More on this: 109 stories
- Aston Martin DB5, Vantage and DBS Superleggera star in new James Bond 'No Time to Die' trailer
- New Land Rover Defender: full specs and details on the 2020 off-road icon
- All new Jaguars and Land Rovers will get over-the-air updates
- Pricing! 24 special-edition Range Rover Sport units for SA...
- Land Rover Defender Still Rugged But Refined, JLR Says
- The new Land Rover Defender lands a role in the upcoming 007 movie
- Road test: Land Rover Discovery Sport
- Revised 2020 Jaguar E-Pace mule caught on camera
- Land Rover Defender Poised for Comeback
- 2020 Land Rover Defender interior tour and review
- Jaguar Land Rover chief wants alliances, not a merger
- Land Rover's Short Defender 90 Sets Foot In America, Start Froms “Around $50k”
- Land Rover Defender 90 will start 'around $50,000'
- WATCH | New Land Rover Defender retains its original features with a modern twist
- Boston native dedicated to Jaguar Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender teaser video from Daniel Craig's last James Bond film No Time to Die
- New 2021 Range Rover Crossover to arrive with all-electric and hybrid power
- 007 puts the Land Rover Defender through its toughest test yet
- New Land Rover Defender is licensed to thrill
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Does Its Thing In New James Bond Movie
- Land Rover Defender Confirmed To Star In New James Bond Movie
- Land Rover New Defender does extreme stunts in next James Bond film
- New Land Rover Defender on the set of new 007 film 'No Time to Die'
- All-new Range Rover Crossover planned for 2021
- 'No Time to Die' stunt team jumps and rolls new Land Rover Defender for James Bond film