Land Rover New Defender does extreme stunts in next James Bond film
The James Bond movie "Spectre" might have been a so-so cinematic effort, but it had its high points. One of them was the snowy alpine chase scene through Austria involving a Range Rover Sport SVR and two brutish Land Rover Defender SVXs that each came to be nicknamed "Bigfoot." The Defender nameplate returns for the upcoming Bond film "No Time to Die," but of course this will be the new Defender 110 making its filmic debut. The movie doesn't hit theaters until next April. But ahead of Land Rover bringing the movie car to a private preview the night before the L.A. Auto Show, the carmaker wanted to provide a glimpse of what the SUV went through on set.
Special Effects and Action Vehicles Supervisor Chris Corbould, who worked with Land Rover on the "Spectre" cars, returned to Solihull to develop the new chase vehicles. Based on the brief video above, it looks like there's a squad of Defender X trucks. The X is the top-tier trim with the 395-horsepower 3.0-liter V6 and all the gewgaws, including satin-finish skid plates and an electronic differential that would be handy for keeping up with the preferred rides of MI6 spies. The Defenders are painted Santorini Black, every suave villain's favorite shade of black, kitted out with darkened skid plates and dark 20-inch wheels on knobby rubber. Stunt driver Jess Hawkins called the movie trucks "pretty much standard out of the factory," not including the roll cages and Sabelt seats. We imagine those two tweaks were helpful when one of the Defenders exceeded its maximum tilt angle.
The Defenders join a cavalcade of new and old machinery parading through the film. Land Rover also contributed a Land Rover Series III and Range Rover Classic. Sister brand Jaguar's got an XF sedan and F-Pace SUV in front of the camera. There's at least one Triumph motorcycle, and Aston Martin scores four cameos with the DB5, Aston Martin V8, DBS Superleggera and Valhalla.
More on this: 70 stories
- 2019 Range Rover Sport P400e PHEV Offers Tons Of Character, But Lacks In Some Departments
- East Coast Defender's resto-modded Range Rover with Cadillac power
- Classic Range Rover Wants To Be A Modern SUV With Cadillac Escalade V8 Power, Air Suspension
- Land Rover watch timed for launch of new Defender
- 2021 Land Rover Discovery gets hybrid tech as part of mid-cycle udpate
- 2020 Land Rover Discovery spied with hybrid power in pipeline
- Arkonik Turns 90's Land Rover Defender Into Impossibly Cool Beach Buggy
- Road test review: Land Rover Discovery Sport
- Land Rover Defender claims world-first dual eSIM connectivity
- Could this 1997 Land Rover Defender really sell for $250,000 at auction?
- Land Rover Defender: Land Rover showcases Defender SUV's dual eSIM connectivity at CES 2020, Auto News, ET Auto
- Defender shows off new JLR infotainment
- Land Rover Defender showcases connectivity tech at CES
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Tackles CES With Dual LTE Modems And Over-The-Air Updates
- Jaguar Land Rover debuts new Pivi Pro infotainment at CES 2020
- 2020 Land Rover Defender to stay connected anywhere
- Qualcomm Seems Poised for More Jaguar Land Rover Business
- Himalaya Thinks Its LS3-Powered Land Rover Defender 110 Pickup Is Worth $250k
- How did Autocar's 2019 predictions fare?
- Land Rover Defender Project Blackcomb Is Both Elegant And Tough
- Land Rover's Mike Cross Puts The New Defender Through High-Speed Tests
- This 1988 Modded Land Rover Defender Is Ruggedness At Its Best
- New 2020 Land Rover Defender: full details, specs and pics
- The new Land Rover Defender has gone into production
- Range Rover Sport SVR Has No Chance Against Mercedes-AMG G63