Land Rover New Defender does extreme stunts in next James Bond film
The James Bond movie "Spectre" might have been a so-so cinematic effort, but it had its high points. One of them was the snowy alpine chase scene through Austria involving a Range Rover Sport SVR and two brutish Land Rover Defender SVXs that each came to be nicknamed "Bigfoot." The Defender nameplate returns for the upcoming Bond film "No Time to Die," but of course this will be the new Defender 110 making its filmic debut. The movie doesn't hit theaters until next April. But ahead of Land Rover bringing the movie car to a private preview the night before the L.A. Auto Show, the carmaker wanted to provide a glimpse of what the SUV went through on set.
Special Effects and Action Vehicles Supervisor Chris Corbould, who worked with Land Rover on the "Spectre" cars, returned to Solihull to develop the new chase vehicles. Based on the brief video above, it looks like there's a squad of Defender X trucks. The X is the top-tier trim with the 395-horsepower 3.0-liter V6 and all the gewgaws, including satin-finish skid plates and an electronic differential that would be handy for keeping up with the preferred rides of MI6 spies. The Defenders are painted Santorini Black, every suave villain's favorite shade of black, kitted out with darkened skid plates and dark 20-inch wheels on knobby rubber. Stunt driver Jess Hawkins called the movie trucks "pretty much standard out of the factory," not including the roll cages and Sabelt seats. We imagine those two tweaks were helpful when one of the Defenders exceeded its maximum tilt angle.
The Defenders join a cavalcade of new and old machinery parading through the film. Land Rover also contributed a Land Rover Series III and Range Rover Classic. Sister brand Jaguar's got an XF sedan and F-Pace SUV in front of the camera. There's at least one Triumph motorcycle, and Aston Martin scores four cameos with the DB5, Aston Martin V8, DBS Superleggera and Valhalla.
More on this: 109 stories
- Aston Martin DB5, Vantage and DBS Superleggera star in new James Bond 'No Time to Die' trailer
- New Land Rover Defender: full specs and details on the 2020 off-road icon
- All new Jaguars and Land Rovers will get over-the-air updates
- Pricing! 24 special-edition Range Rover Sport units for SA...
- Land Rover Defender Still Rugged But Refined, JLR Says
- The new Land Rover Defender lands a role in the upcoming 007 movie
- Road test: Land Rover Discovery Sport
- Revised 2020 Jaguar E-Pace mule caught on camera
- Land Rover Defender Poised for Comeback
- 2020 Land Rover Defender interior tour and review
- Jaguar Land Rover chief wants alliances, not a merger
- Land Rover's Short Defender 90 Sets Foot In America, Start Froms “Around $50k”
- Land Rover Defender 90 will start 'around $50,000'
- WATCH | New Land Rover Defender retains its original features with a modern twist
- Boston native dedicated to Jaguar Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender teaser video from Daniel Craig's last James Bond film No Time to Die
- New 2021 Range Rover Crossover to arrive with all-electric and hybrid power
- 007 puts the Land Rover Defender through its toughest test yet
- New Land Rover Defender is licensed to thrill
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Does Its Thing In New James Bond Movie
- Land Rover Defender Confirmed To Star In New James Bond Movie
- 2020 Land Rover Defender to join fleet of Aston Martins in new Bond movie
- New Land Rover Defender on the set of new 007 film 'No Time to Die'
- All-new Range Rover Crossover planned for 2021
- 'No Time to Die' stunt team jumps and rolls new Land Rover Defender for James Bond film