All new Jaguars and Land Rovers will get over-the-air updates
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) has announced every new car it sells will have Software-Over-The-Air (SOTA) capability as standard. Drivers will be able to receive software patches and updates wherever they are, without having to return to a dealer.
This means the Touch Pro and Touch Pro Duo infotainment systems that feature in current JLR models will be able to remain up-to-date. The feature was highlighted on the new Land Rover Defender, but will now be available across all Jaguars and Land Rovers.
The idea of over-the-air software updates was popularised by Tesla. Now, the likes of JLR and Porsche are implementing similar tech.
“We are passionate about creating and delivering the latest technology to our customers,” said Nick Rogers, director of product engineering at Jaguar Land Rover.
“Building on the connected capability of our new Defender, we have made our pioneering software-over-the-air capability for infotainment updates standard on all our new vehicles.”
Nearly-new cars get free update
Most impressive, perhaps, is the fact that newer JLR cars are eligible for a free update. Half a million cars sold since 2016 should be able to receive the complimentary update at a dealer, then become SOTA-capable.
“Of course, we want our existing customers to benefit from the latest connected features as well,” Rogers followed.
“Which is why we are offering them a complimentary upgrade to enable this capability on their vehicles too, together with the latest updates for their infotainment systems.”
More on this: 109 stories
- Aston Martin DB5, Vantage and DBS Superleggera star in new James Bond 'No Time to Die' trailer
- New Land Rover Defender: full specs and details on the 2020 off-road icon
- Pricing! 24 special-edition Range Rover Sport units for SA...
- Land Rover Defender Still Rugged But Refined, JLR Says
- The new Land Rover Defender lands a role in the upcoming 007 movie
- Road test: Land Rover Discovery Sport
- Revised 2020 Jaguar E-Pace mule caught on camera
- Land Rover Defender Poised for Comeback
- 2020 Land Rover Defender interior tour and review
- Jaguar Land Rover chief wants alliances, not a merger
- Land Rover's Short Defender 90 Sets Foot In America, Start Froms “Around $50k”
- Land Rover Defender 90 will start 'around $50,000'
- WATCH | New Land Rover Defender retains its original features with a modern twist
- Boston native dedicated to Jaguar Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender teaser video from Daniel Craig's last James Bond film No Time to Die
- New 2021 Range Rover Crossover to arrive with all-electric and hybrid power
- 007 puts the Land Rover Defender through its toughest test yet
- New Land Rover Defender is licensed to thrill
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Does Its Thing In New James Bond Movie
- Land Rover Defender Confirmed To Star In New James Bond Movie
- 2020 Land Rover Defender to join fleet of Aston Martins in new Bond movie
- Land Rover New Defender does extreme stunts in next James Bond film
- New Land Rover Defender on the set of new 007 film 'No Time to Die'
- All-new Range Rover Crossover planned for 2021
- 'No Time to Die' stunt team jumps and rolls new Land Rover Defender for James Bond film