Land Rover plotting baby Defender to take on Suzuki Jimny
Land Rover has Suzuki in its sights.
Yes, you read that right, Land Rover is preparing to take on Suzuki and its pint-sized Jimny off-roader with an all-new baby Defender. According to a report in Britain’s Autocar, Land Rover wants to push into the compact SUV space with a new entry-level model with a starting price of £25,000 (approx. $48,000).
While clearly aimed at a new audience than the rest of the Land Rover range, the baby Defender (although it’s unlikely to wear the Defender nameplate) will still feature the same straight-edged design of the new model in a bid to keep a family look.
Technical details of this new model are still under wraps, but it’s expected to hit its aggressive price point by utilising underpinnings from parent company Tata. The Indian brand has created its own vehicle platform, dubbed Omega-Arc, which is actually based on the original Range Rover Evoque/Discovery Sport.
A smaller model would not only help expand Land Rover’s market but would also likely see a reduction in the brand’s average fleet CO2 emissions; an important factor with every-tightening regulations in Europe.
The engines will almost certainly be sourced from Jaguar Land Rover’s Ingenium family, with the most likely candidates being the 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol units and possibly the three-cylinder plug-in hybrid found in the Evoque PHEV.
Timing for the baby Defender isn’t official yet but it’s expected to hit the market in 2021, which means a thinly-disguised production version could debut as a concept sometime in 2020.
More on this: 77 stories
- 2020 Land Rover Discovery spied with hybrid power in pipeline
- Arkonik Turns 90's Land Rover Defender Into Impossibly Cool Beach Buggy
- Road test review: Land Rover Discovery Sport
- Expanding the portfolio: Jaguar Land Rover acquires Bowler
- Land Rover Defender claims world-first dual eSIM connectivity
- Could this 1997 Land Rover Defender really sell for $250,000 at auction?
- Land Rover Defender: Land Rover showcases Defender SUV's dual eSIM connectivity at CES 2020, Auto News, ET Auto
- Defender shows off new JLR infotainment
- Land Rover Defender showcases connectivity tech at CES
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Tackles CES With Dual LTE Modems And Over-The-Air Updates
- Jaguar Land Rover debuts new Pivi Pro infotainment at CES 2020
- 2020 Land Rover Defender to stay connected anywhere
- Qualcomm Seems Poised for More Jaguar Land Rover Business
- Himalaya Thinks Its LS3-Powered Land Rover Defender 110 Pickup Is Worth $250k
- How did Autocar's 2019 predictions fare?
- Land Rover Defender Project Blackcomb Is Both Elegant And Tough
- Land Rover's Mike Cross Puts The New Defender Through High-Speed Tests
- This 1988 Modded Land Rover Defender Is Ruggedness At Its Best
- New 2020 Land Rover Defender: full details, specs and pics
- Jaguar Land Rover has bought off-road specialists Bowler
- The new Land Rover Defender has gone into production
- Jaguar Land Rover Acquires Bowler, The Famous Off-Road Specialist
- Jaguar Land Rover buys off-road racing specialist Bowler
- Bowler Officially Joins The Jaguar Land Rover Family
- Range Rover Sport SVR Has No Chance Against Mercedes-AMG G63