Arkonik Turns 90's Land Rover Defender Into Impossibly Cool Beach Buggy
There’s no shortage of classic Land Rover Defender restomods but since there are so many of them, the sense of occasion one would expect from such a project is not always there.
Well, you can say anything about this Defender D90 restomod, but you can’t possibly deny that it’s very special and stands out in a sea of custom Defenders. Officially known as the Reef D90, this project was fully reconditioned and rebuilt by Arkonik for a Florida couple.
The owners wanted the perfect beach buggy (of sorts) to explore New Smyrna Beach, the type of vehicle that would allow them to breathe the sea air while cruising along the sandy beaches, taking in the views and looking for the perfect surf spots. The short-wheelbase Land Rover Defender 90 seemed like the perfect choice, particularly the soft-top model.
Arkonik got to work and turned a 1992 Land Rover Defender 90 into this stunning Reef D90 sporting a Sky Blue bodywork with a contrasting tan soft top. The rugged SUV is also decked out with silver accents including a KBX Signature grille, aluminum checker plates above the wheels and on the side sills, and KBX wing-top air intakes.
The tasteful exterior treatment also includes body-color wheel arches, Truck-Lite Twin-Cat LED headlights, LED DRLs in the front bumper and Chawton White 16-inch steel wheels shod with BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 tires.
The six-seat cabin is equally unique as it combines superb Aniline Cracked Brown leather with polished wooden flooring in the rear compartment and black carpet in the driver and front passenger’s area. Adding to the charm of the cabin are features like the 15-inch Evander wood rimmed steering wheel and alloy gear knobs and door handles.
Contemporary touches include the Pioneer Touch screen with Apple Car Play and reversing camera display, Ice White LED lighting, as well as the lock box with 12V socket and twin USB ports.
There’s no mention of a powertrain upgrade so we can assume the ‘200Tdi’ 2.5-liter four-cylinder turbo diesel is in stock form and produces 107 HP (108 PS) and 188 lb-ft (255 Nm) of torque. It comes with a five-speed manual transmission sending power to all four wheels via a 4WD system with differential lock and low range.
You should stop reading now if you want to keep the dream of owning a custom Defender like this one alive. That’s because the folks from Arkonik will charge you $175,000 to build your own Reef D90.
More on this: 86 stories
- Land Rover Deploys Fleet of New Defenders for COVID-19 Response
- Jaguar/Land Rover Donate Redirect Hundreds of Vehicles From Press Fleet To Red Cross
- Land Rover Defender launch in U.S. could be delayed
- Fleet of new Defenders made available to Red Cross
- Coronavirus: Jaguar Land Rover lends 160 cars to Red Cross, NHS
- JLR Deploys Army Of Cars Worldwide To Fight Pandemic
- Land Rover puts Defender to work for emergency services
- Land Rover Defender, automakers help fight COVID-19 and more: Roadshow's week in review
- The jury is out! This is what the world's motoring media think of the new Land Rover Defender
- Land Rover gives press fleet of new Defenders to Red Cross
- Land Rover Tipped To Kill Range Rover's V8 Diesel
- Land Rover will replace V8 diesel with smaller hybridized straight-six
- Land Rover to kill off (Ford-sourced) V8 turbodiesel engine?
- Land Rover's mild-hybrid tech spells end for V8 diesel Range Rover
- Polestar 2 production, Jaguar Land Rover EVs, VW Microbus conversion: Today's Car News
- Report: Jaguar J-Pace and Land Rover "Road Rover" electric SUVs in the works
- Report: J-Pace, Road Rover to Join Electric Jaguar XJ; XF and XE in Limbo
- Jaguar Land Rover to reportedly follow electric XJ with electric J-Pace, Road Rover
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Splashing Into U.S. Soon
- Anthony Joshua celebrates the Range Rover's 50th... on ice
- This Is How JLR Celebrates 50 Years Of Range Rovers, In Style!
- 2020 Jaguar F-Pace facelift spotted again
- New Land Rover Defender prices: how do its SA rivals compare in costs?
- Keep Your Gladiators And Sign Us Up For This Awesome Land Rover Defender LS3 V8 Instead
- Watch Pair Of 2020 Land Rover Defenders Rescue Stuck 20-Tonne Semi Truck