Classic Range Rover Wants To Be A Modern SUV With Cadillac Escalade V8 Power, Air Suspension
East Coast Defender (ECD) is best known for breathing new life into old Land Rover Defenders and equipping them with Corvette engines every now and then. Their latest build is a classic Range Rover, though, which doesn’t want to be an old-timer anymore.
Part of the first generation, which was made between 1970 and 1996 at two factories, in the United Kingdom and Australia, it’s called the ‘Project Gunn’ and was restored back to its former glory, albeit with a modern twist.
The British luxury SUV wears a dual-tone paintjob that combines the Alpine White with the Gloss Black roof and pillars. The 18-inch wheels come from Kahn and they’re called the Defend 1983, while the 255/55 tires are Continental Cross. Automatic LED headlights were also added and everything else stays true to the original vehicle.
Contrasting the restrained / elegant exterior, the cabin sports Torino Salsa Red leather on the seats with black stitching and piping. The dashboard panel has been retained, although the dials are all-new. ECD did not install a modern infotainment system, so occupants will have to talk to each other, like in the good old days – or pick up their smartphones instead.
The biggest upgrade, however, is found in the engine compartment, as this Range Rover is powered by a GM-sourced 6.2-liter L92 V8 (same one found in the Cadillac Escalade, GMC Yukon etc) that kicks out 403 horsepower and is matched to a six-speed automatic transmission. The Project Gunn also features a Borla exhaust system and adjustable air suspension.
More on this: 86 stories
- Land Rover Deploys Fleet of New Defenders for COVID-19 Response
- Jaguar/Land Rover Donate Redirect Hundreds of Vehicles From Press Fleet To Red Cross
- Land Rover Defender launch in U.S. could be delayed
- Fleet of new Defenders made available to Red Cross
- Coronavirus: Jaguar Land Rover lends 160 cars to Red Cross, NHS
- JLR Deploys Army Of Cars Worldwide To Fight Pandemic
- Land Rover puts Defender to work for emergency services
- Land Rover Defender, automakers help fight COVID-19 and more: Roadshow's week in review
- The jury is out! This is what the world's motoring media think of the new Land Rover Defender
- Land Rover gives press fleet of new Defenders to Red Cross
- Land Rover Tipped To Kill Range Rover's V8 Diesel
- Land Rover will replace V8 diesel with smaller hybridized straight-six
- Land Rover to kill off (Ford-sourced) V8 turbodiesel engine?
- Land Rover's mild-hybrid tech spells end for V8 diesel Range Rover
- Polestar 2 production, Jaguar Land Rover EVs, VW Microbus conversion: Today's Car News
- Report: Jaguar J-Pace and Land Rover "Road Rover" electric SUVs in the works
- Report: J-Pace, Road Rover to Join Electric Jaguar XJ; XF and XE in Limbo
- Jaguar Land Rover to reportedly follow electric XJ with electric J-Pace, Road Rover
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Splashing Into U.S. Soon
- Anthony Joshua celebrates the Range Rover's 50th... on ice
- This Is How JLR Celebrates 50 Years Of Range Rovers, In Style!
- 2020 Jaguar F-Pace facelift spotted again
- New Land Rover Defender prices: how do its SA rivals compare in costs?
- Keep Your Gladiators And Sign Us Up For This Awesome Land Rover Defender LS3 V8 Instead
- Watch Pair Of 2020 Land Rover Defenders Rescue Stuck 20-Tonne Semi Truck