Classic Range Rover Wants To Be A Modern SUV With Cadillac Escalade V8 Power, Air Suspension
East Coast Defender (ECD) is best known for breathing new life into old Land Rover Defenders and equipping them with Corvette engines every now and then. Their latest build is a classic Range Rover, though, which doesn’t want to be an old-timer anymore.
Part of the first generation, which was made between 1970 and 1996 at two factories, in the United Kingdom and Australia, it’s called the ‘Project Gunn’ and was restored back to its former glory, albeit with a modern twist.
The British luxury SUV wears a dual-tone paintjob that combines the Alpine White with the Gloss Black roof and pillars. The 18-inch wheels come from Kahn and they’re called the Defend 1983, while the 255/55 tires are Continental Cross. Automatic LED headlights were also added and everything else stays true to the original vehicle.
Contrasting the restrained / elegant exterior, the cabin sports Torino Salsa Red leather on the seats with black stitching and piping. The dashboard panel has been retained, although the dials are all-new. ECD did not install a modern infotainment system, so occupants will have to talk to each other, like in the good old days – or pick up their smartphones instead.
The biggest upgrade, however, is found in the engine compartment, as this Range Rover is powered by a GM-sourced 6.2-liter L92 V8 (same one found in the Cadillac Escalade, GMC Yukon etc) that kicks out 403 horsepower and is matched to a six-speed automatic transmission. The Project Gunn also features a Borla exhaust system and adjustable air suspension.
More on this: 45 stories
- 2022 Land Rover Range Rover Sport spy shots
- This 'Baby' Land Rover Defender SUV Looks Absolutely Perfect
- Land Rover Defender 90 Price, Specs, Photos & Review
- Land Rover Defender Irish prices announced
- East Coast Defender's resto-modded Range Rover with Cadillac power
- Land Rover watch timed for launch of new Defender
- Arkonik Turns 90's Land Rover Defender Into Impossibly Cool Beach Buggy
- Land Rover Defender claims world-first dual eSIM connectivity
- Could this 1997 Land Rover Defender really sell for $250,000 at auction?
- Land Rover Defender: Land Rover showcases Defender SUV's dual eSIM connectivity at CES 2020, Auto News, ET Auto
- Defender shows off new JLR infotainment
- Land Rover Defender showcases connectivity tech at CES
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Tackles CES With Dual LTE Modems And Over-The-Air Updates
- Jaguar Land Rover debuts new Pivi Pro infotainment at CES 2020
- 2020 Land Rover Defender to stay connected anywhere
- Qualcomm Seems Poised for More Jaguar Land Rover Business
- Himalaya Thinks Its LS3-Powered Land Rover Defender 110 Pickup Is Worth $250k
- How did Autocar's 2019 predictions fare?
- Land Rover Defender Project Blackcomb Is Both Elegant And Tough
- Land Rover's Mike Cross Puts The New Defender Through High-Speed Tests
- This 1988 Modded Land Rover Defender Is Ruggedness At Its Best
- New 2020 Land Rover Defender: full details, specs and pics
- The new Land Rover Defender has gone into production
- Overfinch Turns Land Rover Defender 90 Into $320k Bespoke Off-Roader
- See 2020 Land Rover Defender Get Trashed By Its Chief Engineer