2019 Range Rover Sport P400e PHEV Offers Tons Of Character, But Lacks In Some Departments
Almost every luxury car brand has a big plug-in hybrid SUV on offer, and Land Rover is no exception. PHEV versions of both the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport are available, and in this instance, we’ll put the spotlight on the latter.
Joining the HSE, HSE Dynamic, HST and Autobiography Dynamic family in the United Kingdom, as well as the menacing SVR, the P400e will set you back £72,785 (equal to $94,641 / €85,330). This places it between the entry-level and mid-range variants, but unlike them, it has an electric range of up to 26 miles (42 km) on a good day, or rather 15-20 miles (24-32 km) according to the reviewer, depending on the outside temperature and driving style.
Power comes from a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine and electric motor that work together to develop a combined output of 404 PS (398 hp / 297 kW) and 640 Nm (472 lb-ft) of torque. The powertrain is paired to an 8-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel drive, with the plug-in hybrid Sport completing the 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 6.7 seconds, before topping out at 220 km/h (137 mph).
The maximum towing capacity is 2,500 kg (5,512 lbs). In the WLTP test cycle, it returns between 86.9 and 75.3 mpg UK (3.3-3.8 l/100 km / 72.4-62.7 mpg US), but in reality you’re apparently looking at 30-35 mpg (9.4-8.1 l/100 km / 25-29 mpg US).
The design is handsome, both inside and out, with Land Rover seamlessly blending in traditional styling with new high-tech gear. The front seats are very comfortable, there are tons of leg- and headroom at the back and controls are easy to operate. For a premium mid-size SUV, the Range Rover Sport P400e has a boot capacity that wasn’t to the reviewer’s liking, and while there’s not that much to complain about when it comes to this model, they did recommend checking out what the competition has to offer instead, namely Volvo.
More on this: 86 stories
- Land Rover Deploys Fleet of New Defenders for COVID-19 Response
- Jaguar/Land Rover Donate Redirect Hundreds of Vehicles From Press Fleet To Red Cross
- Land Rover Defender launch in U.S. could be delayed
- Fleet of new Defenders made available to Red Cross
- Coronavirus: Jaguar Land Rover lends 160 cars to Red Cross, NHS
- JLR Deploys Army Of Cars Worldwide To Fight Pandemic
- Land Rover puts Defender to work for emergency services
- Land Rover Defender, automakers help fight COVID-19 and more: Roadshow's week in review
- The jury is out! This is what the world's motoring media think of the new Land Rover Defender
- Land Rover gives press fleet of new Defenders to Red Cross
- Land Rover Tipped To Kill Range Rover's V8 Diesel
- Land Rover will replace V8 diesel with smaller hybridized straight-six
- Land Rover to kill off (Ford-sourced) V8 turbodiesel engine?
- Land Rover's mild-hybrid tech spells end for V8 diesel Range Rover
- Polestar 2 production, Jaguar Land Rover EVs, VW Microbus conversion: Today's Car News
- Report: Jaguar J-Pace and Land Rover "Road Rover" electric SUVs in the works
- Report: J-Pace, Road Rover to Join Electric Jaguar XJ; XF and XE in Limbo
- Jaguar Land Rover to reportedly follow electric XJ with electric J-Pace, Road Rover
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Splashing Into U.S. Soon
- Anthony Joshua celebrates the Range Rover's 50th... on ice
- This Is How JLR Celebrates 50 Years Of Range Rovers, In Style!
- 2020 Jaguar F-Pace facelift spotted again
- New Land Rover Defender prices: how do its SA rivals compare in costs?
- Keep Your Gladiators And Sign Us Up For This Awesome Land Rover Defender LS3 V8 Instead
- Watch Pair Of 2020 Land Rover Defenders Rescue Stuck 20-Tonne Semi Truck