2019 Range Rover Sport P400e PHEV Offers Tons Of Character, But Lacks In Some Departments
Almost every luxury car brand has a big plug-in hybrid SUV on offer, and Land Rover is no exception. PHEV versions of both the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport are available, and in this instance, we’ll put the spotlight on the latter.
Joining the HSE, HSE Dynamic, HST and Autobiography Dynamic family in the United Kingdom, as well as the menacing SVR, the P400e will set you back £72,785 (equal to $94,641 / €85,330). This places it between the entry-level and mid-range variants, but unlike them, it has an electric range of up to 26 miles (42 km) on a good day, or rather 15-20 miles (24-32 km) according to the reviewer, depending on the outside temperature and driving style.
Power comes from a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine and electric motor that work together to develop a combined output of 404 PS (398 hp / 297 kW) and 640 Nm (472 lb-ft) of torque. The powertrain is paired to an 8-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel drive, with the plug-in hybrid Sport completing the 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 6.7 seconds, before topping out at 220 km/h (137 mph).
The maximum towing capacity is 2,500 kg (5,512 lbs). In the WLTP test cycle, it returns between 86.9 and 75.3 mpg UK (3.3-3.8 l/100 km / 72.4-62.7 mpg US), but in reality you’re apparently looking at 30-35 mpg (9.4-8.1 l/100 km / 25-29 mpg US).
The design is handsome, both inside and out, with Land Rover seamlessly blending in traditional styling with new high-tech gear. The front seats are very comfortable, there are tons of leg- and headroom at the back and controls are easy to operate. For a premium mid-size SUV, the Range Rover Sport P400e has a boot capacity that wasn’t to the reviewer’s liking, and while there’s not that much to complain about when it comes to this model, they did recommend checking out what the competition has to offer instead, namely Volvo.
More on this: 16 stories
- New-Gen 2022 Range Rover Sport Spied, Could Mark Return To BMW V8 Engines
- Land Rover Discovery Sport review
- Nikola Badger, Aston Martin Vantage Roadster, Glickenhaus 007: This Week's Top Photos
- 2021 Jaguar F-Type, Apple CarKey, 2021 Toyota Supra: The Week In Reverse
- Land Rover Discovery Sport price: Jaguar Land Rover launches new Discovery Sport in India, priced from Rs 57.06 lakh, Auto News, ET Auto
- 2022 Land Rover Range Rover Sport spy shots
- 2022 Range Rover Sport Spotted Having Fun On A Frozen Lake
- Jaguar's Facelifted F-Type To Make North American Debut At Chicago Auto Show
- New Range Rover Sport spied spied with a familiar look for the first time
- 2021 Land Rover Discovery gets hybrid tech as part of mid-cycle udpate
- 2020 Land Rover Discovery spied with hybrid power in pipeline
- Road test review: Land Rover Discovery Sport
- Range Rover Sport SVR Has No Chance Against Mercedes-AMG G63
- Return of Defender Opens Door to Bargain-basement Land Rover, Report Claims
- Land Rover Said To Be Developing Budget Off-Roader And Luxury Defender
- Road test: Land Rover Discovery Sport