2022 Range Rover Sport Spotted Having Fun On A Frozen Lake
Land Rover has begun the real-world development of the next generation Range Rover Sport and our spies were there to catch them in the act.
The fresh spy shots show a fully camouflaged prototype of the 2022 Range Rover Sport undergoing some cold-weather testing on a frozen lake, with the company’s testers having a bit of fun along the process.
The third generation Range Rover Sport is expected to be based on JLR’s MLA platform, which is also going to be used in the upcoming electric Jaguar XJ. The architecture is designed to host everything from pure combustion to battery electric models and is expected to make heavy use of aluminum to keep weight in check.
The design of the 2022 Range Rover Sport will not be radically different from today’s popular model, opting instead to share a number of styling cues from the smaller Velar, including the front end fascia and the seamless look of the bodywork.
The powertrain range will include mild and plug-in hybrid options that combine four- and six-cylinder engines to electric motors. Jaguar Land Rover is said to have signed a deal with BMW to provide V8 engines for the next full-size Range Rover but we still haven’t heard anything specific yet for the slightly smaller Sport model.
JLR and BMW are rumored to be forging a powertrain alliance, not only on V8 engines but on future electrified powertrains in general in a bid to reduce the huge development costs.
Land Rover is expected to reveal the full-size Range Rover flagship SUV next year, followed a few months later by the 2022 Range Rover Sport. Stay tuned for more information.
Image Credits: S. Baldauf/SB-Medien for CarScoops
More on this: 86 stories
- Land Rover Deploys Fleet of New Defenders for COVID-19 Response
- Jaguar/Land Rover Donate Redirect Hundreds of Vehicles From Press Fleet To Red Cross
- Land Rover Defender launch in U.S. could be delayed
- Fleet of new Defenders made available to Red Cross
- Coronavirus: Jaguar Land Rover lends 160 cars to Red Cross, NHS
- JLR Deploys Army Of Cars Worldwide To Fight Pandemic
- Land Rover puts Defender to work for emergency services
- Land Rover Defender, automakers help fight COVID-19 and more: Roadshow's week in review
- The jury is out! This is what the world's motoring media think of the new Land Rover Defender
- Land Rover gives press fleet of new Defenders to Red Cross
- Land Rover Tipped To Kill Range Rover's V8 Diesel
- Land Rover will replace V8 diesel with smaller hybridized straight-six
- Land Rover to kill off (Ford-sourced) V8 turbodiesel engine?
- Land Rover's mild-hybrid tech spells end for V8 diesel Range Rover
- Polestar 2 production, Jaguar Land Rover EVs, VW Microbus conversion: Today's Car News
- Report: Jaguar J-Pace and Land Rover "Road Rover" electric SUVs in the works
- Report: J-Pace, Road Rover to Join Electric Jaguar XJ; XF and XE in Limbo
- Jaguar Land Rover to reportedly follow electric XJ with electric J-Pace, Road Rover
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Splashing Into U.S. Soon
- Anthony Joshua celebrates the Range Rover's 50th... on ice
- This Is How JLR Celebrates 50 Years Of Range Rovers, In Style!
- 2020 Jaguar F-Pace facelift spotted again
- New Land Rover Defender prices: how do its SA rivals compare in costs?
- Keep Your Gladiators And Sign Us Up For This Awesome Land Rover Defender LS3 V8 Instead
- Watch Pair Of 2020 Land Rover Defenders Rescue Stuck 20-Tonne Semi Truck