2022 Range Rover Sport Spotted Having Fun On A Frozen Lake
Land Rover has begun the real-world development of the next generation Range Rover Sport and our spies were there to catch them in the act.
The fresh spy shots show a fully camouflaged prototype of the 2022 Range Rover Sport undergoing some cold-weather testing on a frozen lake, with the company’s testers having a bit of fun along the process.
The third generation Range Rover Sport is expected to be based on JLR’s MLA platform, which is also going to be used in the upcoming electric Jaguar XJ. The architecture is designed to host everything from pure combustion to battery electric models and is expected to make heavy use of aluminum to keep weight in check.
The design of the 2022 Range Rover Sport will not be radically different from today’s popular model, opting instead to share a number of styling cues from the smaller Velar, including the front end fascia and the seamless look of the bodywork.
The powertrain range will include mild and plug-in hybrid options that combine four- and six-cylinder engines to electric motors. Jaguar Land Rover is said to have signed a deal with BMW to provide V8 engines for the next full-size Range Rover but we still haven’t heard anything specific yet for the slightly smaller Sport model.
JLR and BMW are rumored to be forging a powertrain alliance, not only on V8 engines but on future electrified powertrains in general in a bid to reduce the huge development costs.
Land Rover is expected to reveal the full-size Range Rover flagship SUV next year, followed a few months later by the 2022 Range Rover Sport. Stay tuned for more information.
Image Credits: S. Baldauf/SB-Medien for CarScoops
More on this: 16 stories
- New-Gen 2022 Range Rover Sport Spied, Could Mark Return To BMW V8 Engines
- Land Rover Discovery Sport review
- Nikola Badger, Aston Martin Vantage Roadster, Glickenhaus 007: This Week's Top Photos
- 2021 Jaguar F-Type, Apple CarKey, 2021 Toyota Supra: The Week In Reverse
- Land Rover Discovery Sport price: Jaguar Land Rover launches new Discovery Sport in India, priced from Rs 57.06 lakh, Auto News, ET Auto
- 2022 Land Rover Range Rover Sport spy shots
- Jaguar's Facelifted F-Type To Make North American Debut At Chicago Auto Show
- New Range Rover Sport spied spied with a familiar look for the first time
- 2019 Range Rover Sport P400e PHEV Offers Tons Of Character, But Lacks In Some Departments
- 2021 Land Rover Discovery gets hybrid tech as part of mid-cycle udpate
- 2020 Land Rover Discovery spied with hybrid power in pipeline
- Road test review: Land Rover Discovery Sport
- Range Rover Sport SVR Has No Chance Against Mercedes-AMG G63
- Return of Defender Opens Door to Bargain-basement Land Rover, Report Claims
- Land Rover Said To Be Developing Budget Off-Roader And Luxury Defender
- Road test: Land Rover Discovery Sport