2021 Jaguar F-Type, Apple CarKey, 2021 Toyota Supra: The Week In Reverse
We took a spin in the 2021 Jaguar F-Type; Apple CarKey will change how people unlock and lock their cars; and the 2021 Toyota Supra debuted. It's the Week in Reverse, right here atMotor Authority.
The 2021 Jaguar F-Type has been pared down to just six builds with a hard top and convertible, 4-, 6-, or 8-cylinders under the hood, and an 8-speed automatic transmission. The streamlined lineup is cheaper than last year and just as gorgeous. We slid behind the wheel of the updated grand tourer and found it provided that emotional connection that Jaguar needs right now.
We compared the 2021 Cadillac Escalade to the 2020 Lincoln Navigator. The interior of the Navigator gives an old-school Chris Craft boat luxury-liner feel while the Escalade's cabin is filled with screens and the latest technology. The Navigator goes modern under the hood with a turbocharged V-6 engine while the Escalade sticks to its truck-based roots with a naturally aspirated V-8—and a turbodiesel inline-6 joins the lineup to give buyers a more fuel efficient option. The Navigator gets the edge on design and space but the Escalade goes all-in on tech, neither are cheap.
Apple's next update to its iOS will be 13.4 and it might change how many people lock, unlock, and even start their vehicles. A beta version of iOS 13.4 references a feature called CarKey. The system's internal files describe how an iPhone or Apple Watch could be used in place of a traditional car key using NFC (Near Field Communication) technology. It wouldn't require Face ID for authentication and would work even if the mobile device's battery is dead.
The 2022 Land Rover Range Rover Sport was spotted undergoing cold weather testing. Expected to arrive in 2021 the new Range Rover Sport will look boxier, with a more upright shape inside and out. Expect design elements from the 2020 Defender to make their way into the latest Range Rover Sport., along with mild hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and all-electric powertrain options. The new luxury SUV will ride on Land Rover's MLA (Modular Longitudinal Architecture) platform that will debut in 2020 with the redesigned Jaguar XJ.
The 2021 Toyota Supra received substantial updates for its second year on the market. A turbo-4 engine powers the base model while the turbo-6 receives a substantial power bump of 47 horsepower. The suspension's been retuned and there's more bracing for lateral stiffness. Every Supra will features an 8.8-inch touchscreen infotainment system, and the base price will be lower, though Toyota didn't say how much it will cost when it goes on sale in June.
More on this: 86 stories
- Land Rover Deploys Fleet of New Defenders for COVID-19 Response
- Jaguar/Land Rover Donate Redirect Hundreds of Vehicles From Press Fleet To Red Cross
- Land Rover Defender launch in U.S. could be delayed
- Fleet of new Defenders made available to Red Cross
- Coronavirus: Jaguar Land Rover lends 160 cars to Red Cross, NHS
- JLR Deploys Army Of Cars Worldwide To Fight Pandemic
- Land Rover puts Defender to work for emergency services
- Land Rover Defender, automakers help fight COVID-19 and more: Roadshow's week in review
- The jury is out! This is what the world's motoring media think of the new Land Rover Defender
- Land Rover gives press fleet of new Defenders to Red Cross
- Land Rover Tipped To Kill Range Rover's V8 Diesel
- Land Rover will replace V8 diesel with smaller hybridized straight-six
- Land Rover to kill off (Ford-sourced) V8 turbodiesel engine?
- Land Rover's mild-hybrid tech spells end for V8 diesel Range Rover
- Polestar 2 production, Jaguar Land Rover EVs, VW Microbus conversion: Today's Car News
- Report: Jaguar J-Pace and Land Rover "Road Rover" electric SUVs in the works
- Report: J-Pace, Road Rover to Join Electric Jaguar XJ; XF and XE in Limbo
- Jaguar Land Rover to reportedly follow electric XJ with electric J-Pace, Road Rover
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Splashing Into U.S. Soon
- Anthony Joshua celebrates the Range Rover's 50th... on ice
- This Is How JLR Celebrates 50 Years Of Range Rovers, In Style!
- 2020 Jaguar F-Pace facelift spotted again
- New Land Rover Defender prices: how do its SA rivals compare in costs?
- Keep Your Gladiators And Sign Us Up For This Awesome Land Rover Defender LS3 V8 Instead
- Watch Pair Of 2020 Land Rover Defenders Rescue Stuck 20-Tonne Semi Truck