New-Gen 2022 Range Rover Sport Spied, Could Mark Return To BMW V8 Engines
Unless you’re a Land Rover fan boy, you probably cannot tell that the outgoing Range Rover Sport has been around since 2013, but it is, and in today’s market, this makes it pretty old.
It will be a while until the heavy camo and cladding start coming off, but the design is understood to be an evolution of the current model with plenty of styling cues borrowed from the Velar. It will retain, however, the series’ characteristic square profile and prominent front end.
The prototype seen playing on a snowy road in northern Europe had a quad exhaust pipe layout. On top of that, our spies said that the engine sounded very nice, hinting at a possible V8 engine. While there’s no way of debugging the rumor, Land Rover is tipped to be working on a comprehensive engine deal with BMW, which will see the latter lend its four-cylinder and V8 turbo units to the next-gen Range Rover flagship, and they could do the same to the Sport model. JLR’s new straight-six turbo in both mild and full-hybrid variants will also be on offer.
As for the platform, the third generation Range Rover Sport is believed to be based on JLR’s new MLA (Modular Longitudinal Architecture) which has been designed to accommodate an assortment of different powertrains including internal combustion engines, mild hybrid systems, plug-in hybrid systems and fully electric powertrains. It will be shared among others with the upcoming Jaguar XJ electric flagship sedan.
The all-new Range Rover Sport is believed to be introduced at the end of 2021 or early 2022.
Photo Credits: CarPix for CarScoops
More on this: 80 stories
- Land Rover Defender, automakers help fight COVID-19 and more: Roadshow's week in review
- The jury is out! This is what the world's motoring media think of the new Land Rover Defender
- Land Rover gives press fleet of new Defenders to Red Cross
- Land Rover Tipped To Kill Range Rover's V8 Diesel
- Land Rover will replace V8 diesel with smaller hybridized straight-six
- Land Rover to kill off (Ford-sourced) V8 turbodiesel engine?
- Land Rover's mild-hybrid tech spells end for V8 diesel Range Rover
- Polestar 2 production, Jaguar Land Rover EVs, VW Microbus conversion: Today's Car News
- Report: Jaguar J-Pace and Land Rover "Road Rover" electric SUVs in the works
- Report: J-Pace, Road Rover to Join Electric Jaguar XJ; XF and XE in Limbo
- Jaguar Land Rover to reportedly follow electric XJ with electric J-Pace, Road Rover
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Splashing Into U.S. Soon
- Anthony Joshua celebrates the Range Rover's 50th... on ice
- This Is How JLR Celebrates 50 Years Of Range Rovers, In Style!
- 2020 Jaguar F-Pace facelift spotted again
- New Land Rover Defender prices: how do its SA rivals compare in costs?
- Keep Your Gladiators And Sign Us Up For This Awesome Land Rover Defender LS3 V8 Instead
- Watch Pair Of 2020 Land Rover Defenders Rescue Stuck 20-Tonne Semi Truck
- Land Rover South Africa confirms pricing for new Defender range
- DRIVEN: Land Rover Discovery Sport D180 R-Dynamic HSE
- New Land Rover Defender: prices for South Africa revealed!
- Land Rover Discovery (2020) review
- More Rumors On A Baby Land Rover Defender 80 As A Ford Bronco Sport Rival
- Pricing! Refreshed Land Rover Discovery Sport touches down in SA
- Land Rover Defender reportedly will spawn smaller, bigger models