2022 Land Rover Range Rover Long Wheelbase spy shots
Land Rover is working on a redesign for its Range Rover and the latest spy shots show a prototype for the long-wheelbase variant.
The prototype can clearly be identified by its stretched wheelbase and rear door. The previous long-wheelbase Range Rover was about eight inches longer than the regular model and the same is probably true for this new generation. It should also be differentiated from the regular model by more luxurious appointments in the cabin.
Both the regular and long-wheelbase versions of the redesigned, fourth-generation Range Rover are expected on sale in late 2021 as 2022 models. A new Range Rover Sport should also be coming, likely one year after the regular Range Rover.
2022 Land Rover Range Rover Long Wheelbase spy shots - Photo credit: S. Baldauf/SB-Medien
Underpinning the vehicle will be Land Rover's new MLA (Modular Longitudinal Architecture) platform that debuts this year in a redesigned Jaguar XJ. It was previously thought the platform would debut in the redesigned Defender but Land Rover went with an evolution of the D7 platform instead for the off-roader. The D7 platform underpins the outgoing Range Rover and Range Rover Sport, as well as the Discovery.
The MLA platform has been designed to fit battery-electric powertrains and will eventually underpin most models from the Jaguar and Land Rover brands. The platform will also be lighter than the aluminum-intensive D7 platform.
As for powertrains, expect the redesigned Range Rover to feature the inline-6 engine and mild-hybrid system that was just introduced in to the current Range Rover for 2020. The setup is good for 355 horsepower and 365 pound-feet of torque in base P360 guise and 395 hp and 406 lb-ft in sportier P400 guise.
Jaguar Land Rover inline-6 engine
Above this should be a new plug-in hybrid setup featuring the inline-6 engine mated to an electric motor at the front axle and a second electric motor powering the rear axle. The current Range Rover plug-in hybrid only has a single-electric motor setup. A battery-electric powertrain will also be offered in the new Range Rover at some point.
It isn't clear if a V-8 will be offered with the redesigned Range Rover, though a deal with BMW Group could potentially make it happen. Jaguar Land Rover and BMW Group are already poised to share some engines and electric powertrains, and hopefully a V-8 is on the cards.
Production will be handled at Land Rover's plant in Solihull, United Kingdom, where the current generation is built.
More on this: 80 stories
- Land Rover Defender, automakers help fight COVID-19 and more: Roadshow's week in review
- The jury is out! This is what the world's motoring media think of the new Land Rover Defender
- Land Rover gives press fleet of new Defenders to Red Cross
- Land Rover Tipped To Kill Range Rover's V8 Diesel
- Land Rover will replace V8 diesel with smaller hybridized straight-six
- Land Rover to kill off (Ford-sourced) V8 turbodiesel engine?
- Land Rover's mild-hybrid tech spells end for V8 diesel Range Rover
- Polestar 2 production, Jaguar Land Rover EVs, VW Microbus conversion: Today's Car News
- Report: Jaguar J-Pace and Land Rover "Road Rover" electric SUVs in the works
- Report: J-Pace, Road Rover to Join Electric Jaguar XJ; XF and XE in Limbo
- Jaguar Land Rover to reportedly follow electric XJ with electric J-Pace, Road Rover
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Splashing Into U.S. Soon
- Anthony Joshua celebrates the Range Rover's 50th... on ice
- This Is How JLR Celebrates 50 Years Of Range Rovers, In Style!
- 2020 Jaguar F-Pace facelift spotted again
- New Land Rover Defender prices: how do its SA rivals compare in costs?
- Keep Your Gladiators And Sign Us Up For This Awesome Land Rover Defender LS3 V8 Instead
- Watch Pair Of 2020 Land Rover Defenders Rescue Stuck 20-Tonne Semi Truck
- Land Rover South Africa confirms pricing for new Defender range
- DRIVEN: Land Rover Discovery Sport D180 R-Dynamic HSE
- New Land Rover Defender: prices for South Africa revealed!
- Land Rover Discovery (2020) review
- More Rumors On A Baby Land Rover Defender 80 As A Ford Bronco Sport Rival
- Pricing! Refreshed Land Rover Discovery Sport touches down in SA
- Land Rover Defender reportedly will spawn smaller, bigger models