Long-wheelbase 2021 Range Rover revealed in new spy photos
If you need to squint a bit to tell this prototype apart from the Range Rover Sport that broke cover In January, you'll be forgiven. Heck, even in showroom guise, it can often be difficult to tell various Land Rover models apart.
But if you look closely, you can spot the differences. Even through the relatively heavy camouflage, we can tell that this is a longer-wheelbase prototype than the one photographed previously. While Land Rover does offer a short-wheelbase version of the Range Rover, the same is not true of the Sport.
The rear door and window are the true telltales here, but Land Rover also helpfully fitted the new prototype with similar wheels, making it easier to see how much farther apart they've been placed.
Unfortunately, some of the most significant expected changes to the next-generation Range Rover are all under the metal, far from our prying eyes.
For starters, there's a new platform. This will be the first time the Range Rover has been underpinned by Jaguar Land Rover's new Modular Longitudinal Architecture (MLA), which has been developed with electrification in mind.
Yeah, there's a more-than-decent chance the next generation of Range Rover models will feature hybrid and/or electric powertrains.
A new powertrain is also expected, and as we've noted previously, it's likely to be a V8 supplied by BMW. JLR has been exploring partnerships to share both vehicle architecture and powertrains — including electric — with other automakers; BMW's name has come up more than once.
More on this: 80 stories
- Land Rover Defender, automakers help fight COVID-19 and more: Roadshow's week in review
- The jury is out! This is what the world's motoring media think of the new Land Rover Defender
- Land Rover gives press fleet of new Defenders to Red Cross
- Land Rover Tipped To Kill Range Rover's V8 Diesel
- Land Rover will replace V8 diesel with smaller hybridized straight-six
- Land Rover to kill off (Ford-sourced) V8 turbodiesel engine?
- Land Rover's mild-hybrid tech spells end for V8 diesel Range Rover
- Polestar 2 production, Jaguar Land Rover EVs, VW Microbus conversion: Today's Car News
- Report: Jaguar J-Pace and Land Rover "Road Rover" electric SUVs in the works
- Report: J-Pace, Road Rover to Join Electric Jaguar XJ; XF and XE in Limbo
- Jaguar Land Rover to reportedly follow electric XJ with electric J-Pace, Road Rover
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Splashing Into U.S. Soon
- Anthony Joshua celebrates the Range Rover's 50th... on ice
- This Is How JLR Celebrates 50 Years Of Range Rovers, In Style!
- 2020 Jaguar F-Pace facelift spotted again
- New Land Rover Defender prices: how do its SA rivals compare in costs?
- Keep Your Gladiators And Sign Us Up For This Awesome Land Rover Defender LS3 V8 Instead
- Watch Pair Of 2020 Land Rover Defenders Rescue Stuck 20-Tonne Semi Truck
- Land Rover South Africa confirms pricing for new Defender range
- DRIVEN: Land Rover Discovery Sport D180 R-Dynamic HSE
- New Land Rover Defender: prices for South Africa revealed!
- Land Rover Discovery (2020) review
- More Rumors On A Baby Land Rover Defender 80 As A Ford Bronco Sport Rival
- Pricing! Refreshed Land Rover Discovery Sport touches down in SA
- Land Rover Defender reportedly will spawn smaller, bigger models