Whether or Not It Sells, The Next Jaguar XJ At Least Looks the Part
Find Reviews by Make:
When rumors began to spread that Jaguar was on the cusp of axing its long-running XJ (seen above) in favor of an electric car with a more versatile body, the purist in everyone no doubt squirmed at the thought. The XJ is meant to be a flagship sedan, and part of that role involves looking like one.
Jaguar did end up discontinuing the model. Now, as the XJ’s replacement draws near, we can at least inform you that it won’t look like a made-over Citroën C6 that hums.
Spy photos of a prototype XJ attacking some snow in Northern Europe are making the rounds, revealing a bonafide car, and one that appears quite large. Maybe they should call it the Mark X. Check out these pics at Motor1 for proof.
Riding atop the new MLA platform destined for several Jaguar Land Rover models, the next-gen XJ carries classic rear-drive proportions: long hood, flowing roofline, and a short deck. It seems that deck is part of a liftgate, given the seams in the car’s camouflage wrapping. If so, at least it still looks like a sedan.
JLR’s new architecture is said to underpin an upcoming J-Pace large crossover as well as the next-gen Range Rover. Able to accommodate fully electric propulsion as well as plug-in hybrid or mild hybrid powertrains, the exact range of Jaguar’s future XJ offerings is not known. It may simply be an EV, though that would see the model suffer in less environmentally stringent overseas markets (not that the XJ’s volume hadn’t already fallen to “hey look, I found one!” levels).
Speaking recently to Autocar, Jaguar design head Julian Thomson said the company is aiming for a “fabulous-looking thing” for people to “lust after.”
“We want to present something that challenges the norm, offer an alternative that makes it better and more engaging on all levels to own and to drive. That’s what we’re all about: the love of the car,” he said.
Interior volume should see a healthy increase, what with the car’s wider track and longer wheelbase. Power will also be substantial, though exactly what output to expect — and from how many motors — remains unclear. Unlike some German manufacturers, Jaguar managed to avoid range gripes with its I-Pace electric crossover, so those figures should be reasonable at the very least.
The next-gen Jaguar XJ launches later this year.
[Image: Jaguar Land Rover]
Latest Car Reviews view all
Car Reviews By Make view all
New Car Research
Who We Are
More on this: 80 stories
- Land Rover Defender, automakers help fight COVID-19 and more: Roadshow's week in review
- The jury is out! This is what the world's motoring media think of the new Land Rover Defender
- Land Rover gives press fleet of new Defenders to Red Cross
- Land Rover Tipped To Kill Range Rover's V8 Diesel
- Land Rover will replace V8 diesel with smaller hybridized straight-six
- Land Rover to kill off (Ford-sourced) V8 turbodiesel engine?
- Land Rover's mild-hybrid tech spells end for V8 diesel Range Rover
- Polestar 2 production, Jaguar Land Rover EVs, VW Microbus conversion: Today's Car News
- Report: Jaguar J-Pace and Land Rover "Road Rover" electric SUVs in the works
- Report: J-Pace, Road Rover to Join Electric Jaguar XJ; XF and XE in Limbo
- Jaguar Land Rover to reportedly follow electric XJ with electric J-Pace, Road Rover
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Splashing Into U.S. Soon
- Anthony Joshua celebrates the Range Rover's 50th... on ice
- This Is How JLR Celebrates 50 Years Of Range Rovers, In Style!
- 2020 Jaguar F-Pace facelift spotted again
- New Land Rover Defender prices: how do its SA rivals compare in costs?
- Keep Your Gladiators And Sign Us Up For This Awesome Land Rover Defender LS3 V8 Instead
- Watch Pair Of 2020 Land Rover Defenders Rescue Stuck 20-Tonne Semi Truck
- Land Rover South Africa confirms pricing for new Defender range
- DRIVEN: Land Rover Discovery Sport D180 R-Dynamic HSE
- New Land Rover Defender: prices for South Africa revealed!
- Land Rover Discovery (2020) review
- More Rumors On A Baby Land Rover Defender 80 As A Ford Bronco Sport Rival
- Pricing! Refreshed Land Rover Discovery Sport touches down in SA
- Land Rover Defender reportedly will spawn smaller, bigger models