Watch Pair Of 2020 Land Rover Defenders Rescue Stuck 20-Tonne Semi Truck
Land Rover got some free PR when two of its brand new Defender 110 SUVs got a chance to demonstrate their capability in the Namib Desert.
The 2020 Land Rover Defenders were on a pre-launch media expedition in Namibia scouting-out a video shoot location when the team noticed a semi-trailer stuck in the Namib Desert.
The truck driver had been stranded in the remote desert with little to eat and drink and no communication with the outside world for three days, so you can imagine his joy of seeing the two properly-equipped 2020 Defenders stop by.
Armed with their new Defender 110 (a D240 SE and a P400 S), strong ropes and resourcefulness, the Land Rover team managed to free the semi from the dry, sandy riverbed. The Defenders did it without difficulty, as the video below can attest.
The new Land Rover Defender has a claimed 3,500 kg (7,716 lbs) towing capacity but with the Scania truck and its tri-axle trailer weighing around 20 tonnes (44,092 lbs), the Defenders may have exceeded their official towing capacity. Let’s not forget they did so on a slippery, sandy surface.
Professional photographer Damian Blakemore, who was part of the Land Rover Defender team in Namibia, described the rescue as “International Rescue, New Defender style”. In a post on Facebook, he wrote: “The driver and his truck had been stuck in this dry riverbed for three days, miles from anywhere. What a car! What a team!”
The all-new Land Rover Defender will start arriving in Europe this spring in 110 form, with the shorter-wheelbase Defender 90 to follow in summer.
More on this: 80 stories
- Land Rover Defender, automakers help fight COVID-19 and more: Roadshow's week in review
- The jury is out! This is what the world's motoring media think of the new Land Rover Defender
- Land Rover gives press fleet of new Defenders to Red Cross
- Land Rover Tipped To Kill Range Rover's V8 Diesel
- Land Rover will replace V8 diesel with smaller hybridized straight-six
- Land Rover to kill off (Ford-sourced) V8 turbodiesel engine?
- Land Rover's mild-hybrid tech spells end for V8 diesel Range Rover
- Polestar 2 production, Jaguar Land Rover EVs, VW Microbus conversion: Today's Car News
- Report: Jaguar J-Pace and Land Rover "Road Rover" electric SUVs in the works
- Report: J-Pace, Road Rover to Join Electric Jaguar XJ; XF and XE in Limbo
- Jaguar Land Rover to reportedly follow electric XJ with electric J-Pace, Road Rover
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Splashing Into U.S. Soon
- Anthony Joshua celebrates the Range Rover's 50th... on ice
- This Is How JLR Celebrates 50 Years Of Range Rovers, In Style!
- 2020 Jaguar F-Pace facelift spotted again
- New Land Rover Defender prices: how do its SA rivals compare in costs?
- Keep Your Gladiators And Sign Us Up For This Awesome Land Rover Defender LS3 V8 Instead
- Land Rover South Africa confirms pricing for new Defender range
- DRIVEN: Land Rover Discovery Sport D180 R-Dynamic HSE
- New Land Rover Defender: prices for South Africa revealed!
- Land Rover Discovery (2020) review
- More Rumors On A Baby Land Rover Defender 80 As A Ford Bronco Sport Rival
- Pricing! Refreshed Land Rover Discovery Sport touches down in SA
- Land Rover Defender reportedly will spawn smaller, bigger models
- Now in SA! Land Rover's updated Discovery Sport is a big step up