Jaguar Land Rover to reportedly follow electric XJ with electric J-Pace, Road Rover
Jaguar Land Rover is set to reveal a redesign for the XJ flagship sedan later this year, prototypes for which have been spotted.
The new XJ is the first recipient of a highly modular platform code-named MLA (Modular Longitudinal Architecture), which the engineers have designed to support plug-in hybrid and battery-electric powertrains. In fact, Jaguar is expected to launch the XJ with electric power only, before adding more conventional powertrains.
The MLA platform will enable Jaguar Land Rover to launch more EVs in relatively quick succession, with Autocar having reported Monday that the recently confirmed Jaguar J-Pace and oft-rumored Road Rover from Land Rover will arrive by the end of 2021 also boasting electric power. According to the British publication's sources, the electric J-Pace and Road Rover will join the XJ at Jaguar Land Rover's Castle Bromwich plant in the United Kingdom, which is in the process of being transformed into an EV hub.
2021 Jaguar XJ spy shots - Photo credit: S. Baldauf/SB-Medien
The J-Pace will be a mid-size SUV targeting popular luxury SUVs like the BMW X5 and Volvo XC90 and, in electric guise, the Tesla Model X. Expect it to feature a sleeker design than the more conventionally styled F-Pace to help deliver optimal aerodynamic efficiency—a must for the electric version.
Jaguar Land Rover is yet to announce the Road Rover which is likely to go by another name if it actually reaches production. Previous reports point to it being a large, luxurious vehicle with light off-road capability akin to a soft-roader. Autocar reported on Monday that the Road Rover will be offered with electric power only.
Jaguar Land Rover predicts 20 percent of new car sales will be electric by 2025, so don't be surprised if more of the automaker's future models come without an internal-combustion engine.
More on this: 80 stories
- Land Rover Defender, automakers help fight COVID-19 and more: Roadshow's week in review
- The jury is out! This is what the world's motoring media think of the new Land Rover Defender
- Land Rover gives press fleet of new Defenders to Red Cross
- Land Rover Tipped To Kill Range Rover's V8 Diesel
- Land Rover will replace V8 diesel with smaller hybridized straight-six
- Land Rover to kill off (Ford-sourced) V8 turbodiesel engine?
- Land Rover's mild-hybrid tech spells end for V8 diesel Range Rover
- Polestar 2 production, Jaguar Land Rover EVs, VW Microbus conversion: Today's Car News
- Report: Jaguar J-Pace and Land Rover "Road Rover" electric SUVs in the works
- Report: J-Pace, Road Rover to Join Electric Jaguar XJ; XF and XE in Limbo
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Splashing Into U.S. Soon
- Anthony Joshua celebrates the Range Rover's 50th... on ice
- This Is How JLR Celebrates 50 Years Of Range Rovers, In Style!
- 2020 Jaguar F-Pace facelift spotted again
- New Land Rover Defender prices: how do its SA rivals compare in costs?
- Keep Your Gladiators And Sign Us Up For This Awesome Land Rover Defender LS3 V8 Instead
- Watch Pair Of 2020 Land Rover Defenders Rescue Stuck 20-Tonne Semi Truck
- Land Rover South Africa confirms pricing for new Defender range
- DRIVEN: Land Rover Discovery Sport D180 R-Dynamic HSE
- New Land Rover Defender: prices for South Africa revealed!
- Land Rover Discovery (2020) review
- More Rumors On A Baby Land Rover Defender 80 As A Ford Bronco Sport Rival
- Pricing! Refreshed Land Rover Discovery Sport touches down in SA
- Land Rover Defender reportedly will spawn smaller, bigger models
- Now in SA! Land Rover's updated Discovery Sport is a big step up