Land Rover Tipped To Kill Range Rover's V8 Diesel
Advancements in powertrain development could kill off one of the most iconic engines in Land Rover’s lineup: the V8 diesel.
Based on a 10-year old design, the Ford-sourced 4.4-liter V8 diesel, making 339 PS (334 HP / 249 kW) and 740 Nm (546 lb-ft) of torque in the 2019MY Range Rover and Range Rover Sport, will reportedly be retired, Autocar believes.
The eight-banger is understood to be replaced by a 3.0-liter mild-hybrid unit, in two specs. The Range Rover Sport HSE, HSE Dynamic and Autobiography Dynamic will supposedly get the D300 (name unconfirmed), with integrated starter-generator, while the HST is expected to adopt a thirstier version of the same lump, the D350.
The latter offering will kick out 345 PS (340 HP / 254 kW) and 700 Nm (516 lb-ft) of torque, according to data published by automotive suppliers and quoted by the British publication. This would allow the Range Rover Sport to accelerate from 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 6.5 seconds and reach 140 mph (225 km/h), while burning 35.3 mpg UK (8 l/100 km / 29.4 mpg US) on average and emitting 210 g/km of CO2.
Land Rover’s flagship luxury SUV, the Range Rover, will allegedly get the same engines, with the D350 believed to be offered in the upper specs, allowing the vehicle to hit 100 km/h (62 mph) in 7.1 seconds, emitting 225 g/km of CO2.
With the introduction of the new MHEV power unit, prices should be revised. The Range Rover starts at £84,655 ($100,139/€92,441) in the UK, going up to £144,225 ($170,605/€157,490) for the SVAutobiography Dynamic, while the long wheelbase models, the Autobiography and SVAutobiography, can be had from £115,875 and £170,525 ($137,069-$201,715/€126,532-€186,209) respectively. Meanwhile, the Westminster and Westminster Black Special Editions start at £85,995 and £87,740 ($101,724-$103,788/€93,904-€95,810).
For the Range Rover Sport, you’re looking at between £64,725 and £85,955 ($76,564-$101,677/€70,678-€93,861) for the HSE and Autobiography Dynamic, while the sporty SVR has an MSRP of £101,810 ($120,432/€111,174).
More on this: 80 stories
- Land Rover Defender, automakers help fight COVID-19 and more: Roadshow's week in review
- The jury is out! This is what the world's motoring media think of the new Land Rover Defender
- Land Rover gives press fleet of new Defenders to Red Cross
- Land Rover will replace V8 diesel with smaller hybridized straight-six
- Land Rover to kill off (Ford-sourced) V8 turbodiesel engine?
- Land Rover's mild-hybrid tech spells end for V8 diesel Range Rover
- Polestar 2 production, Jaguar Land Rover EVs, VW Microbus conversion: Today's Car News
- Report: Jaguar J-Pace and Land Rover "Road Rover" electric SUVs in the works
- Report: J-Pace, Road Rover to Join Electric Jaguar XJ; XF and XE in Limbo
- Jaguar Land Rover to reportedly follow electric XJ with electric J-Pace, Road Rover
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Splashing Into U.S. Soon
- Anthony Joshua celebrates the Range Rover's 50th... on ice
- This Is How JLR Celebrates 50 Years Of Range Rovers, In Style!
- 2020 Jaguar F-Pace facelift spotted again
- New Land Rover Defender prices: how do its SA rivals compare in costs?
- Keep Your Gladiators And Sign Us Up For This Awesome Land Rover Defender LS3 V8 Instead
- Watch Pair Of 2020 Land Rover Defenders Rescue Stuck 20-Tonne Semi Truck
- Land Rover South Africa confirms pricing for new Defender range
- DRIVEN: Land Rover Discovery Sport D180 R-Dynamic HSE
- New Land Rover Defender: prices for South Africa revealed!
- Land Rover Discovery (2020) review
- More Rumors On A Baby Land Rover Defender 80 As A Ford Bronco Sport Rival
- Pricing! Refreshed Land Rover Discovery Sport touches down in SA
- Land Rover Defender reportedly will spawn smaller, bigger models
- Now in SA! Land Rover's updated Discovery Sport is a big step up