Land Rover to kill off (Ford-sourced) V8 turbodiesel engine?
A fresh report out of the United Kingdom claims Land Rover is poised to kill off its (Ford-sourced) 4,4-litre turbodiesel V8 engine, replacing it with a mild-hybrid six-cylinder unit.
According to Autocar, the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport line-ups will welcome the new mild-hybrid diesel powerplants “in the coming months”, with the V8 thus falling away.
In South Africa, the oil-burning bent-eight engine generates 250 kW at 3 500 r/min and 740 N.m at 1 750 r/min, offered in SDV8 guise in the aforementioned Range Rover and Range Rover Sport line-ups. Jaguar Land Rover currently sources the V8 from Ford in Mexico.
Autocar’s report suggests the new 3,0-litre mild-hybrid arrangement will make 221 kW in D300 form and 257 kW in D350 guise. Compared with the V8, the new powertrain is expected to offer a “moderate efficiency boost” as well as a smoother stop-start system (thanks to its integrated starter-generator).
The publication points out the new powertrains are likely to be rolled out to the Jaguar range, too, with refreshed versions of the XF and F-Pace probably first in line.
In addition, Jaguar Land Rover is expected to move away from the supercharged 5,0-litre V8 petrol engine in the relatively near future, with BMW reportedly set to supply its twin-turbo 4,4-litre V8 under an extension of an existing agreement.
See Full Land Rover Range Rover Sport price and specs here
See Full Land Rover Range Rover price and specs here
More on this: 80 stories
- Land Rover Defender, automakers help fight COVID-19 and more: Roadshow's week in review
- The jury is out! This is what the world's motoring media think of the new Land Rover Defender
- Land Rover gives press fleet of new Defenders to Red Cross
- Land Rover Tipped To Kill Range Rover's V8 Diesel
- Land Rover will replace V8 diesel with smaller hybridized straight-six
- Land Rover's mild-hybrid tech spells end for V8 diesel Range Rover
- Polestar 2 production, Jaguar Land Rover EVs, VW Microbus conversion: Today's Car News
- Report: Jaguar J-Pace and Land Rover "Road Rover" electric SUVs in the works
- Report: J-Pace, Road Rover to Join Electric Jaguar XJ; XF and XE in Limbo
- Jaguar Land Rover to reportedly follow electric XJ with electric J-Pace, Road Rover
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Splashing Into U.S. Soon
- Anthony Joshua celebrates the Range Rover's 50th... on ice
- This Is How JLR Celebrates 50 Years Of Range Rovers, In Style!
- 2020 Jaguar F-Pace facelift spotted again
- New Land Rover Defender prices: how do its SA rivals compare in costs?
- Keep Your Gladiators And Sign Us Up For This Awesome Land Rover Defender LS3 V8 Instead
- Watch Pair Of 2020 Land Rover Defenders Rescue Stuck 20-Tonne Semi Truck
- Land Rover South Africa confirms pricing for new Defender range
- DRIVEN: Land Rover Discovery Sport D180 R-Dynamic HSE
- New Land Rover Defender: prices for South Africa revealed!
- Land Rover Discovery (2020) review
- More Rumors On A Baby Land Rover Defender 80 As A Ford Bronco Sport Rival
- Pricing! Refreshed Land Rover Discovery Sport touches down in SA
- Land Rover Defender reportedly will spawn smaller, bigger models
- Now in SA! Land Rover's updated Discovery Sport is a big step up