Land Rover gives press fleet of new Defenders to Red Cross
Land Rover’s brand-new Defender will be pushed into service much sooner than previously thought, doing some important work for the Red Cross.
On Twitter, Land Rover revealed it would lending its second press fleet of Defender SUVs to the Red Cross, as COVID-19 spreads around the world. The first press fleet was sent to Africa months ago for testing.
This second fleet would normally have been shared among automotive journalists for them to review the new off-roader, but we think you’ll agree journalists driving trucks are pretty much irrelevant at this point.
The new Defenders will be pressed into service as emergency vehicles, a role Land Rovers have filled well for the last 70 years. The rugged SUVs have seen a lot of service around the world, and it’s only fitting the tough truck help with one of the toughest situations the world has ever seen.
On top of those efforts abroad, Land Rover Canada is helping in the fight, too, supplying vehicles and drivers to services delivering personal protective equipment (PPE) like face masks to Toronto hospitals. The automaker is hoping to roll out that program across the country, if it can.
Working with the Red Cross is not new for Land Rover — the brand has been involved with the humanitarian network for over 60 years, and even invited its representatives to prototype drives so it could get their feedback during the Defender’s development.
Not only is this actually helpful, it’s good press for Land Rover. The brand’s been associated with rugged, tough vehicles in the past, but has more recently taken on the unenviable reputation of “Chelsea tractor,” named after an upper-class area of the U.K. where rich people buy the trucks purely for social status.
Hopefully this removes some of that image and returns Land Rover back to the tough truck it once was.
More on this: 60 stories
- SPY PICS: Flagship Land Rover Defender V8 spotted
- 2022 Land Rover Defender V-8 spy shots
- 2021 Land Rover Discovery spy shots
- 2021 Land Rover Discovery: prototype of facelifted SUV spotted
- Jaguar Land Rover's SVO plots expansion after bumper year
- Defender heroes: the people behind Land Rover's definitive 4x4
- 1986 Land Rover Defender 110 Transformed By Osprey Custom Cars
- 1993 Land Rover Defender Project Alpine Yeti Has A Cummins Diesel And A Dodge 8sp Automatic
- 2019 Land Rover Range Rover Sport SVR Review
- Review: The 2020 Range Rover is the pinnacle of luxury off-roading
- Get An Up-Close Look At The 2022 Range Rover Flagship Luxury SUV
- V-8-powered Land Rover Defender in the works
- Land Rover Defender 110 V8 prototype indicates possible production run
- Land Rover Defender with booming V8 coming to rattle the Mercedes-AMG G63- reports
- Exclusive: Land Rover V8 Defender revealed in spy shots
- A V8 Land Rover Defender is reportedly on the way
- Land Rover Defender from James Bond movie Spectre for sale
- Here's Your Chance To Snatch A Defender From James Bond's Spectre Movie
- ECD's New Land Rover Defender Project Will Feature A Tesla Electric Drivetrain
- JLR Won't Let Pandemic Delay Development Of All-New Range Rover
- Jaguar Land Rover readies 2021 Range Rover amid lockdown delays
- Can You Think Of A Better Way To Do Soccer Rounds Than A 9-Seater Land Rover Defender D110 LS3 V8?
- Land Rover plug-in hybrid lineup expands with downsized engine, bigger battery
- Land Rover Defender spied testing with V8
- Jaguar Land Rover expands plug-in hybrid SUV range