The jury is out! This is what the world's motoring media think of the new Land Rover Defender
The embargo has lifted, the prices are out, and the new Land Rover Defender (should) arrive in South Africa in 2020. But what is it like to drive? International motoring media drove the iconic go-anywhere vehicle in Namibia.
We first laid eyes on the new Defender at its world debut at the 2019 Frankfurt motor show and were impressed by what we saw and touched in the new vehicle.
Land Rover is set to launch the four door Defender 110 in June 2020, while the short-wheelbase Defender 90 will arrive later in 2020. These launch dates might be adjusted due to the effect of the coronavirus on the motor industry.
The automaker says that a range of petrol and diesel engines will make up the range, while, at launch, the range-topping model at launch will be a P400 straight-six petrol with mild-hybrid (MHEV) engine technology.
Trim levels for both bodies comprise the top of the range Defender X models, as well as Standard, S, SE, HSE specification packs.
Prices start at R948 000 for a 90 model with 177kW in D240 Standard trim and top out at R1 486 700 for a 90 294kW P400 X model.
This is what international motoring media thought of the new Defender after three days of driving in Namibia:
More on this: 64 stories
- Jaguar Land Rover's SVO plots expansion after bumper year
- Defender heroes: the people behind Land Rover's definitive 4x4
- 1986 Land Rover Defender 110 Transformed By Osprey Custom Cars
- 1993 Land Rover Defender Project Alpine Yeti Has A Cummins Diesel And A Dodge 8sp Automatic
- 2019 Land Rover Range Rover Sport SVR Review
- Review: The 2020 Range Rover is the pinnacle of luxury off-roading
- Get An Up-Close Look At The 2022 Range Rover Flagship Luxury SUV
- V-8-powered Land Rover Defender in the works
- Land Rover Defender 110 V8 prototype indicates possible production run
- Land Rover Defender with booming V8 coming to rattle the Mercedes-AMG G63- reports
- Exclusive: Land Rover V8 Defender revealed in spy shots
- A V8 Land Rover Defender is reportedly on the way
- Land Rover Defender from James Bond movie Spectre for sale
- Here's Your Chance To Snatch A Defender From James Bond's Spectre Movie
- ECD's New Land Rover Defender Project Will Feature A Tesla Electric Drivetrain
- Nearly new buying guide: Land Rover Discovery 5
- JLR Won't Let Pandemic Delay Development Of All-New Range Rover
- Jaguar Land Rover readies 2021 Range Rover amid lockdown delays
- Can You Think Of A Better Way To Do Soccer Rounds Than A 9-Seater Land Rover Defender D110 LS3 V8?
- Land Rover Defender spied testing with V8
- Jaguar Land Rover expands plug-in hybrid SUV range
- Plug-in hybrid Land Rover Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque launched
- 2019 Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE P400e Review
- Jaguar Land Rover marketing VP McCullough exits
- Kim McCullough, Jaguar Land Rover's VP of marketing, steps down