Land Rover launches Discovery Sport and Evoque plug-in hybrids
Available to order now, the plug-in hybrid variants are arguably as important as the new Defender in terms of sales, because they’re targeted at the lucrative fleet markets. With no electric Land Rover available yet, they will also have a huge impact on reducing the brand’s fleet average CO2 emissions, which must be done in order to avoid fines from the EU.
Designed and engineered entirely in-house, the SUVs are described by Land Rover PHEV vehicle engineering manager Chris Carey as featuring “all brand new tech” produced in a “huge engineering effort”.
Work on the powertrain began in 2016 and was done in parallel with the creation of the Premium Transverse Architecture (PTA), which made its debut last year in the new Evoque and heavily updated Discovery Sport.
Both PHEV models, dubbed P300e, combine a new 197bhp turbocharged three-cylinder 1.5-litre Ingenium petrol engine with an eight-speed automatic gearbox and a 107bhp electric motor mounted on the rear axle. That links to a Samsung-sourced 15kWh battery pack. The result is a combined system output of 296bhp, with total (rather than combined) torque quoted at 398lb ft.
More on this: 33 stories
- 2021 Land Rover Discovery: prototype of facelifted SUV spotted
- 2019 Land Rover Range Rover Sport SVR Review
- Review: The 2020 Range Rover is the pinnacle of luxury off-roading
- Fuel for thought: How the big, full-size SUVs stack up for gas mileage
- Get An Up-Close Look At The 2022 Range Rover Flagship Luxury SUV
- Nearly new buying guide: Land Rover Discovery 5
- Land Rover plug-in hybrids, Kia's Plan S EV, rear-wheel-drive Porsche Taycan: Today's Car News
- Land Rover plug-in hybrid lineup expands with downsized engine, bigger battery
- Land Rover Evoque and Discovery Sport Get Plug-In Hybrid Powertrains
- Jaguar Land Rover expands plug-in hybrid SUV range
- Land Rover launches plug-in Evoque and Discovery Sport
- Plug-in hybrid Land Rover Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque launched
- Land Rover debuts PHEV three-pot in Discovery Sport and Evoque
- Range Rover Evoque P300e and Land Rover Discovery Sport P300e PHEVs debut
- New Land Rover Discovery Sport P300e 2021 detailed: Audi Q5 rival goes plug-in hybrid
- New Range Rover Evoque P300e 2021 detailed: BMW X5 rival adds plug-in hybrid
- Land Rover Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque PHEVs launched
- Land Rover Debuts 1.5L 3-Cylinder Plug-in Hybrid Evoque And Discovery Sport
- 2020 Land Rover Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque plug-in hybrids debut
- 2019 Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE P400e Review
- Legacy Overland Restomods A 1990 Range Rover Classic With 430 HP LS3 V8
- Land Rover Tipped To Kill Range Rover's V8 Diesel
- Land Rover will replace V8 diesel with smaller hybridized straight-six
- Land Rover's mild-hybrid tech spells end for V8 diesel Range Rover
- Report: Jaguar J-Pace and Land Rover "Road Rover" electric SUVs in the works