Plug-in hybrid Land Rover Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque launched
Land Rover boasts of an electric range stretching up to 41 miles, and official CO2 emissions from 32g/km.
Claimed fuel economy of up to 201.8mpg is quoted, albeit only on shorter trips and with a fully-charged battery.
Both cars are open for ordering now: the Range Rover Evoque P300e is priced from £43,850, while the Discovery Sport P300e costs from £45,370.
A new British-built engine
Land Rover’s PHEV system comprises a new British-built 200hp 1.5-litre three-cylinder turbo petrol engine driving the front wheels, plus a 109hp electric motor for the rear wheels.
This ensures all-wheel drive, maintaining the Land Rover off-road DNA. An eight-speed automatic gearbox is standard.
A 15kWh lithium ion battery is located beneath the rear seats. It can rapid-charge using a 32kW DC terminal from 0-80 percent in 30 minutes.
Charging with a 7kW wallbox takes one hour 24 minutes. The charge point is at the rear, on the opposite side to the fuel filler flap.
Total power from the engine and motor is 309hp, for sprightly 0-62 mph in 6.1 seconds for the Evoque.
Impressively, both vehicles can reach speeds of up to 84mph on electric power alone before the petrol engine kicks in.
The Evoque is the more efficient of the two. It boats 32g/km CO2 emissions, the 41-mile electric driving range, and 201.8mpg economy.
The Discovery Sport PHEV emits 36g/km CO2 and will drive for up to 38.5 miles in pure electric mode. Clamed fuel economy is 175.5mpg.
Land Rover reckons fuel consumption won’t be a big issue for most people, though. The average UK commute is 18.8 miles a day, it says.
This means both models will be able to drive back to work and back TWICE without needing recharging.
More on this: 60 stories
- SPY PICS: Flagship Land Rover Defender V8 spotted
- 2022 Land Rover Defender V-8 spy shots
- 2021 Land Rover Discovery spy shots
- 2021 Land Rover Discovery: prototype of facelifted SUV spotted
- Jaguar Land Rover's SVO plots expansion after bumper year
- Defender heroes: the people behind Land Rover's definitive 4x4
- 1986 Land Rover Defender 110 Transformed By Osprey Custom Cars
- 1993 Land Rover Defender Project Alpine Yeti Has A Cummins Diesel And A Dodge 8sp Automatic
- 2019 Land Rover Range Rover Sport SVR Review
- Review: The 2020 Range Rover is the pinnacle of luxury off-roading
- Get An Up-Close Look At The 2022 Range Rover Flagship Luxury SUV
- V-8-powered Land Rover Defender in the works
- Land Rover Defender 110 V8 prototype indicates possible production run
- Land Rover Defender with booming V8 coming to rattle the Mercedes-AMG G63- reports
- Exclusive: Land Rover V8 Defender revealed in spy shots
- A V8 Land Rover Defender is reportedly on the way
- Land Rover Defender from James Bond movie Spectre for sale
- Here's Your Chance To Snatch A Defender From James Bond's Spectre Movie
- ECD's New Land Rover Defender Project Will Feature A Tesla Electric Drivetrain
- JLR Won't Let Pandemic Delay Development Of All-New Range Rover
- Jaguar Land Rover readies 2021 Range Rover amid lockdown delays
- Can You Think Of A Better Way To Do Soccer Rounds Than A 9-Seater Land Rover Defender D110 LS3 V8?
- Land Rover plug-in hybrid lineup expands with downsized engine, bigger battery
- Land Rover Defender spied testing with V8
- Jaguar Land Rover expands plug-in hybrid SUV range