Land Rover Defender spied testing with V8
Yes, although it may look like any ordinary 2020 Land Rover Defender, this test vehicle actually has a 5.0-liter V8 under the hood. How could we know? Well the spy photographer and his team that provided these photos ran the plates and discovered the car is registered as having such an engine.
There's also a very small exterior detail that reveals this Defender doesn't have either the turbo four-cylinder or six-cylinder. At the back, there are dual exhaust outlets with a quartet of tips. The recently released Defender with the other engine options has a solitary outlet on the left side. Not only that, but the muffler the tips are attached to is shaped differently compared to other Defenders.
Adding a V8 shouldn't be particularly difficult. The Defender shares a large selection of components with the much larger Range Rover. It even shares its new straight-six with the big SUV. And going down this Range Rover parts bin line of thinking, it could get one of the model's V8s. The base one makes a whopping 518 horsepower and 461 pound-feet of torque. The upgraded one makes 557 horsepower and 516 pound-feet of torque. The base one would seem more than adequate for the relatively small Defender, but hey, in a world of 700-horsepower Jeeps, why not go big?
When we might see the V8 Defender is very much an open question. We would expect at least a year away, since the company is working on getting the first Defenders out the door. And with delays from the coronavirus crisis, it could take even longer.
More on this: 64 stories
- Jaguar Land Rover's SVO plots expansion after bumper year
- Defender heroes: the people behind Land Rover's definitive 4x4
- 1986 Land Rover Defender 110 Transformed By Osprey Custom Cars
- 1993 Land Rover Defender Project Alpine Yeti Has A Cummins Diesel And A Dodge 8sp Automatic
- 2019 Land Rover Range Rover Sport SVR Review
- Review: The 2020 Range Rover is the pinnacle of luxury off-roading
- Get An Up-Close Look At The 2022 Range Rover Flagship Luxury SUV
- V-8-powered Land Rover Defender in the works
- Land Rover Defender 110 V8 prototype indicates possible production run
- Land Rover Defender with booming V8 coming to rattle the Mercedes-AMG G63- reports
- Exclusive: Land Rover V8 Defender revealed in spy shots
- A V8 Land Rover Defender is reportedly on the way
- Land Rover Defender from James Bond movie Spectre for sale
- Here's Your Chance To Snatch A Defender From James Bond's Spectre Movie
- ECD's New Land Rover Defender Project Will Feature A Tesla Electric Drivetrain
- Nearly new buying guide: Land Rover Discovery 5
- JLR Won't Let Pandemic Delay Development Of All-New Range Rover
- Jaguar Land Rover readies 2021 Range Rover amid lockdown delays
- Can You Think Of A Better Way To Do Soccer Rounds Than A 9-Seater Land Rover Defender D110 LS3 V8?
- Jaguar Land Rover expands plug-in hybrid SUV range
- Plug-in hybrid Land Rover Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque launched
- 2019 Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE P400e Review
- Jaguar Land Rover marketing VP McCullough exits
- Kim McCullough, Jaguar Land Rover's VP of marketing, steps down
- Land Rover Defender: old vs new comparison