Jaguar Land Rover readies 2021 Range Rover amid lockdown delays
The all-new, fifth-generation Range Rover is in the first stages of testing before it hits the showrooms at the end of 2021, tasked with leading Jaguar Land Rover out of the coronavirus-induced slump that’s expected to affect the global car industry for much of this year and beyond.
Despite the closure of JLR’s production facilities and the paused launch of the new Land Rover Defender, it’s understood that there will be no let-up in the development of either the Range Rover or the battery-electric replacement for the Jaguar XJ, which will also go on sale late next year.
Pictures of a disguised prototype test vehicle show the large SUV undergoing a winter testing regime, with hot weather trials due to take place in the coming weeks. They also show how much of the stance of the new Range Rover, which is based on JLR’s Modular Longitudinal Architecture (MLA), will change. The front and rear tracks seem to be wider, it appears to have more prominent wheel arches and the prototype has rather less of a barrel-sided look than the current model.
Even with the Mk5 model in disguise, it seems Land Rover’s design studio has managed to give the SUV an even more imperious and imposing look, which is crucial to the Range Rover’s commercial appeal.
A close look at the pictures suggest that the ‘face’ of the new model is not so different from that of the current vehicle, marked out by the wide and deep grille and Velar-style slim headlight units.The company’s new flagship will replace the current Range Rover, which was launched back in 2012, and should give JLR a much-needed high profit-margin boost just as the global economy is expected to begin to emerge from the effects of the current lockdown.
More on this: 64 stories
- Jaguar Land Rover's SVO plots expansion after bumper year
- Defender heroes: the people behind Land Rover's definitive 4x4
- 1986 Land Rover Defender 110 Transformed By Osprey Custom Cars
- 1993 Land Rover Defender Project Alpine Yeti Has A Cummins Diesel And A Dodge 8sp Automatic
- 2019 Land Rover Range Rover Sport SVR Review
- Review: The 2020 Range Rover is the pinnacle of luxury off-roading
- Get An Up-Close Look At The 2022 Range Rover Flagship Luxury SUV
- V-8-powered Land Rover Defender in the works
- Land Rover Defender 110 V8 prototype indicates possible production run
- Land Rover Defender with booming V8 coming to rattle the Mercedes-AMG G63- reports
- Exclusive: Land Rover V8 Defender revealed in spy shots
- A V8 Land Rover Defender is reportedly on the way
- Land Rover Defender from James Bond movie Spectre for sale
- Here's Your Chance To Snatch A Defender From James Bond's Spectre Movie
- ECD's New Land Rover Defender Project Will Feature A Tesla Electric Drivetrain
- Nearly new buying guide: Land Rover Discovery 5
- JLR Won't Let Pandemic Delay Development Of All-New Range Rover
- Can You Think Of A Better Way To Do Soccer Rounds Than A 9-Seater Land Rover Defender D110 LS3 V8?
- Land Rover Defender spied testing with V8
- Jaguar Land Rover expands plug-in hybrid SUV range
- Plug-in hybrid Land Rover Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque launched
- 2019 Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE P400e Review
- Jaguar Land Rover marketing VP McCullough exits
- Kim McCullough, Jaguar Land Rover's VP of marketing, steps down
- Land Rover Defender: old vs new comparison