JLR Won't Let Pandemic Delay Development Of All-New Range Rover
JLR has begun putting the all-new 5th generation Range Rover through its early development paces, as the luxury SUV is scheduled to hit global showrooms sometime next year.
According to Autocar, work on the new Range Rover will not be delayed, despite the carmaker having to close its production facilities and pause the launch of the all-new Land Rover Defender. Prototypes for the former were spotted recently undergoing cold weather testing.
Meanwhile, hot weather trials are expected to take place in the coming weeks, and over the course of the year, the camouflage on the prototypes will get thinner and thinner, revealing a familiar yet updated design.
Even camouflaged, the prototypes appear to feature wider front and rear tracks, as well as more prominent wheel arches, which should help the new model look more imposing than its predecessor, which has been on sale since 2012.
The new Range Rover will utilize the carmaker’s MLA architecture, which should deliver a reduction in warranty and reliability problems, while also allowing for over-the-air software updates. The new model should also get a BMW-sourced 4.4-liter twin turbo V8 unit, aimed at markets such as the Middle East or California. Other drivetrains will include a plug-in hybrid system as well as all-electric variants, to go with the usual assortment of gasoline and diesel options.
The Mk5 Range Rover should give JLR a much-needed financial boost, at a time when the global economy is expected to begin growing again, following the current lockdown.
Photo Credits: CarPix | S. Baldauf/SB-Medien for CarScoops
More on this: 60 stories
- SPY PICS: Flagship Land Rover Defender V8 spotted
- 2022 Land Rover Defender V-8 spy shots
- 2021 Land Rover Discovery spy shots
- 2021 Land Rover Discovery: prototype of facelifted SUV spotted
- Jaguar Land Rover's SVO plots expansion after bumper year
- Defender heroes: the people behind Land Rover's definitive 4x4
- 1986 Land Rover Defender 110 Transformed By Osprey Custom Cars
- 1993 Land Rover Defender Project Alpine Yeti Has A Cummins Diesel And A Dodge 8sp Automatic
- 2019 Land Rover Range Rover Sport SVR Review
- Review: The 2020 Range Rover is the pinnacle of luxury off-roading
- Get An Up-Close Look At The 2022 Range Rover Flagship Luxury SUV
- V-8-powered Land Rover Defender in the works
- Land Rover Defender 110 V8 prototype indicates possible production run
- Land Rover Defender with booming V8 coming to rattle the Mercedes-AMG G63- reports
- Exclusive: Land Rover V8 Defender revealed in spy shots
- A V8 Land Rover Defender is reportedly on the way
- Land Rover Defender from James Bond movie Spectre for sale
- Here's Your Chance To Snatch A Defender From James Bond's Spectre Movie
- ECD's New Land Rover Defender Project Will Feature A Tesla Electric Drivetrain
- Jaguar Land Rover readies 2021 Range Rover amid lockdown delays
- Can You Think Of A Better Way To Do Soccer Rounds Than A 9-Seater Land Rover Defender D110 LS3 V8?
- Land Rover plug-in hybrid lineup expands with downsized engine, bigger battery
- Land Rover Defender spied testing with V8
- Jaguar Land Rover expands plug-in hybrid SUV range
- Plug-in hybrid Land Rover Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque launched