A V8 Land Rover Defender is reportedly on the way
When the last-generation Land Rover Defender left us a few years ago, it went out with a bang, a special edition model featuring a thundering V8. We thought we’d never see the Defender again, but we were wrong, and now we’re seeing the return of the V8 engine as well.
According to Autocar, an undisguised Defender has been prowling around Jaguar Land Rover’s research facility wearing ‘Prototype Vehicle’ stickers, usually reserved for testing mules. The only changes visible are a quad exhaust system, which JLR usually reserves for V8-powered vehicles.
The rumours of a V8 Land Rover have been circulating for a while, and all Land Rover can say is “We are unable to comment on the specific nature of these [technology development] programmes.”
Sources close to the matter have confirmed the project’s existence however, and Autocar has secured registration data for a V8 Land Rover. The engine is a 5.0-litre AJV8, the same one used in the Range Rover Sport SVR and the Range Rover Velar SVAutobiography. However, the AJV8 is likely just a placeholder for the production engine, as it’s due to end production at the end of the year.
For the production version, JLR will tap its alliance with BMW, and use its twin-turbocharged 4.4-litre V8 for the new vehicle. The engine is capable of providing the horsepower to compete with Land Rover’s alleged benchmark, the Mercedes-Benz G-Class.
As for the price, the V8 Defender could sell for more than £100,000 ($175,000 here) as the top spec-Defender already tops £75,000 ($131,000). The vehicle will likely make its debut in late 2021.
More on this: 64 stories
- Jaguar Land Rover's SVO plots expansion after bumper year
- Defender heroes: the people behind Land Rover's definitive 4x4
- 1986 Land Rover Defender 110 Transformed By Osprey Custom Cars
- 1993 Land Rover Defender Project Alpine Yeti Has A Cummins Diesel And A Dodge 8sp Automatic
- 2019 Land Rover Range Rover Sport SVR Review
- Review: The 2020 Range Rover is the pinnacle of luxury off-roading
- Get An Up-Close Look At The 2022 Range Rover Flagship Luxury SUV
- V-8-powered Land Rover Defender in the works
- Land Rover Defender 110 V8 prototype indicates possible production run
- Land Rover Defender with booming V8 coming to rattle the Mercedes-AMG G63- reports
- Exclusive: Land Rover V8 Defender revealed in spy shots
- Land Rover Defender from James Bond movie Spectre for sale
- Here's Your Chance To Snatch A Defender From James Bond's Spectre Movie
- ECD's New Land Rover Defender Project Will Feature A Tesla Electric Drivetrain
- Nearly new buying guide: Land Rover Discovery 5
- JLR Won't Let Pandemic Delay Development Of All-New Range Rover
- Jaguar Land Rover readies 2021 Range Rover amid lockdown delays
- Can You Think Of A Better Way To Do Soccer Rounds Than A 9-Seater Land Rover Defender D110 LS3 V8?
- Land Rover Defender spied testing with V8
- Jaguar Land Rover expands plug-in hybrid SUV range
- Plug-in hybrid Land Rover Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque launched
- 2019 Land Rover Range Rover Sport HSE P400e Review
- Jaguar Land Rover marketing VP McCullough exits
- Kim McCullough, Jaguar Land Rover's VP of marketing, steps down
- Land Rover Defender: old vs new comparison