Defender heroes: the people behind Land Rover's definitive 4x4
The new Land Rover Defender may only have been on sale a month or two but, in some of the toughest third-party testing ever conducted, it has already shown itself to be the most capable off-roader the company has ever built. Given the excellence of Land Rovers past, that’s a huge achievement.
But if you include the fact that the Defender’s accompanying on-road performance makes it a prime candidate for the most versatile off-roader ever – and that its new-age electronics also make it the best-connected off-roader ever – you really are talking about an extraordinary machine. You’re also talking about a uniquely talented team who dreamed up such a vehicle and brought it into the world.
Some of these people have been working on the project for as long as seven years, fitting their Defender work between tasks with shorter deadlines. In all, several thousand people have played a part, when you include the vital efforts of leading suppliers.
To represent the achievement of everyone involved, we name five people here who have led development of a remarkable model, seemingly destined already to be one of 72-year-old Land Rover’s great successes. Here are their stories…
Nick Rogers - executive director, product engineeringWhen Rogers started as an engineering trainee at Land Rover 36 years ago, the company was already talking about Defender replacements. “It’s been a discussion point as long as I can remember,” says Rogers. “The idea of a new Defender and I have grown up in the company together.”
More on this: 60 stories
- SPY PICS: Flagship Land Rover Defender V8 spotted
- 2022 Land Rover Defender V-8 spy shots
- 2021 Land Rover Discovery spy shots
- 2021 Land Rover Discovery: prototype of facelifted SUV spotted
- Jaguar Land Rover's SVO plots expansion after bumper year
- 1986 Land Rover Defender 110 Transformed By Osprey Custom Cars
- 1993 Land Rover Defender Project Alpine Yeti Has A Cummins Diesel And A Dodge 8sp Automatic
- 2019 Land Rover Range Rover Sport SVR Review
- Review: The 2020 Range Rover is the pinnacle of luxury off-roading
- Get An Up-Close Look At The 2022 Range Rover Flagship Luxury SUV
- V-8-powered Land Rover Defender in the works
- Land Rover Defender 110 V8 prototype indicates possible production run
- Land Rover Defender with booming V8 coming to rattle the Mercedes-AMG G63- reports
- Exclusive: Land Rover V8 Defender revealed in spy shots
- A V8 Land Rover Defender is reportedly on the way
- Land Rover Defender from James Bond movie Spectre for sale
- Here's Your Chance To Snatch A Defender From James Bond's Spectre Movie
- ECD's New Land Rover Defender Project Will Feature A Tesla Electric Drivetrain
- JLR Won't Let Pandemic Delay Development Of All-New Range Rover
- Jaguar Land Rover readies 2021 Range Rover amid lockdown delays
- Can You Think Of A Better Way To Do Soccer Rounds Than A 9-Seater Land Rover Defender D110 LS3 V8?
- Land Rover plug-in hybrid lineup expands with downsized engine, bigger battery
- Land Rover Defender spied testing with V8
- Jaguar Land Rover expands plug-in hybrid SUV range
- Plug-in hybrid Land Rover Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque launched