CarNut checks out the Range Rover Evoque
In the latest video from our friends at CarNut Steve and Cam take a look at the Range Rover Evoque P300, a small urban SUV from the legendary SUV maker.
Urban? Yeah, well it still has some decent off-road capabilities, however, with Land Rover's excellent Terrain Response system coming standard.
In our road test of the P300 late last year we loved the P300's first performance and vastly improved ride and handling, but were a bit taken aback by its fairly hefty fuel consumption, particularly given it is a hybrid.
To be fair, it is only a mild hybrid, but like everything that gets a version of JLR's 2.0-litre turbo petrol Ingenium engine, it is thirstier than you would expect.
* Land Rover details new plug-in hybrids
* Road test review: Land Rover Discovery Sport
* Road test review: Range Rover Evoque P300 HSE
* First in can have a Range Rover Evoque First Edition
While those ill-advised (from a fuel consumption perspective) roof racks fitted to our test car would likely have been having a negative effect, even allowing for the fact that they can add up to 10 per cent to fuel consumption, the P300 never particularly convinces as a fuel-saver.
But the hybrid system does make the P300 the default performance version of the Evoque, being the fastest to 100km/h by close to a second - 6.6 seconds compared to 7.5 for the next quickest variant - and it packs a big, healthy chunk of torque that starts down low and hangs around well up into the rev range thanks to the combination of a turbo and electric boost.
"The P300 belts off the line from a standing start and the engine pulls confidently right across its rev range which, combined with its equally confident handling, makes for a thoroughly enjoyable and impressively sporty driving experience," we said at the time.
But the big question about the latest Evoque was always "is it a proper Range Rover?", and while the first generation struggled to convince us of that, this one certainly is.
The Evoque packs everything you would from a Range Rover into its smaller package, with a thoroughly superb interior, brilliantly comfortable seats with a commanding driving position and loads of tech.
That interior is a deeply impressive thing that is beautifully put together from high quality materials. Modern and spacious, belying the Evoque's relatively compact size, the level of standard equipment and sheer quality goes a long way towards justifying the small SUVs price premium.
As Steve and Cam point out in the video, the Volvo XC60 presents a strong competitor for the Evoque, but we also threw up an unexpected competitor in the form of the Porsche Macan, with the Rangie sitting right in between the entry-level four-cylinder 185kW Macan and the 260kW V6 Macan S in terms of both price and performance, but with a similarly prestigious badge.
More on this: 18 stories
- New 2022 Range Rover set to rival Bentley Bentayga
- Watch And Listen To The 2022 Range Rover Testing On The Nurburgring
- Incredible 1992 Range Rover Two-Door Restomod Literally Has Jamiroquai Funk
- 2020 Land Rover Range Rover Velar SVAutobiography Dynamic Edition Road Test
- Special Edition Marks Range Rover's 50th Anniversary
- Looking Back at 50 Years of Range Rover With the World's Most Obsessive Collection
- Camper vans hit the road, 2021 BMW M5 drops, Lucid Air set to launch: What's New @ The Car Connection
- New Range Rover Fifty 2021 detailed: Special edition marks 50th anniversary of luxury off-roader
- 2021 Land Rover Range Rover Fifty celebrates a half-century of luxe
- Range Rover gets 50th-anniversary edition
- 2021 Land Rover Discovery: prototype of facelifted SUV spotted
- NZ SVR sales outpace the rest of the world
- 2021 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque Long Wheelbase spy shots
- Jaguar Land Rover's SVO plots expansion after bumper year
- JLR's Special Vehicle Operations division reports 64% sales increase
- 2019 Land Rover Range Rover Sport SVR Review
- Review: The 2020 Range Rover is the pinnacle of luxury off-roading
- Get An Up-Close Look At The 2022 Range Rover Flagship Luxury SUV