The 2020 Land Rover Defender is ready to hit trails in US
The first examples of the redesigned 2020 Land Rover Defender have finally been delivered in the United States, ending a 23-year stint since the nameplate was last sold here officially.
The newest Defender made its world debut last fall at the 2019 Frankfurt International Motor Show and is available in the U.S. in two body styles, with the bigger, more practical option actually the more affordable.
The first to arrive is the five-door Defender 110 which is priced from $50,925; a smaller three-door Defender 90 priced from $66,125 is available to order and should commence deliveries shortly. The Defender 90 is only available as a special first edition right now, hence the much higher starting price. Both prices include destination.
2020 Land Rover Defender
The Defender 110 is also being offered with a 296-horsepower 2.0-liter turbocharged inline-4 as standard while the Defender 90 gets a 395-hp 3.0-liter turbocharged inline-6 and mild-hybrid setup as standard. Add the mild-hybrid inline-6 to the Defender 110 and the price grows to $63,275. The inline-4 will also be made available in the Defender 90 once regular versions of the three-door are available.
The Defender 90 with the inline-4 has an EPA-rated mileage of 19 mpg combined, versus 18 mpg combined for the Defender 110. Opt for the mild-hybrid inline-6 and you're looking at 19 mpg combined for both body styles.
Though it's yet to be confirmed, a V-8 option and a stretched body style supporting up to eight seats are expected to join the range in the near future.
2020 Land Rover Defender
The new Defender has some big off-roading shoes to fill, and luckily for Land Rover the handsome SUV has a lot going for it. It rides on an aluimum platform and features the stiffest body of any Land Rover yet. It also comes with standard air suspension, permanent four-wheel drive with a low-speed transfer case, a high ground clearance (0.8 inches higher than other Land Rovers), and a massive 35.4 inches of wading depth. Approach, breakover and departure angles come in at 38, 28 and 40 degrees, respectively, and towing capacity is up to 8,200 pounds.
Land Rover also fits its Terrain Response off-road driving mode selector as standard. However, you'll need to pay extra if you want the more advanced Terrain Response 2 version which automatically selects the ideal mode depending on the situation. The configurable version of Terrain Response is also an available feature. This enables drivers to precisely fine-tune the system to suit specific off-road conditions.
For more on the Land Rover Defender, read the in-depth reviews at The Car Connection.
More on this: 105 stories
- Jaguar Land Rover Pivotal: Jaguar Land Rover launches premium car subscription service Pivotal, Auto News, ET Auto
- New Land Rover Defender diesel sold out
- Jaguar Land Rover doubles down on subscription service
- Jaguar Land Rover launches new vehicle subscription service
- Twisted's $250,000 Land Rover Defender LT1 V8 Restomod Coming To The U.S.
- JLR Launches 'Pivotal' Premium Car Subscription Service
- Jaguar Land Rover taps into car subscription services with Pivotal
- Jaguar Land Rover targets mobility market with car subscription scheme
- JLR launches Pivotal premium car subscription service
- Ineos Grenadier revealed as rugged off-roader for 2021
- Ineos reveals new 'no-nonsense' off-roader and takes aim at Land Rover Defender
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top ready to work
- New Ineos Grenadier Wants To Take Over From Where The Classic Defender Left Off
- Old-school Ineos Grenadier is British billionaire's brand new off-road SUV brand
- Report: Jaguar Land Rover working on hydrogen fuel-cell SUV
- Jaguar Land Rover to develop fuel cell-electric SUV
- 2020 Lincoln Corsair revisited, Porsche Taycan rear-drive dream, Nissan Ariya set for launch: What's New @ The Car Connection
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Hard Top commercial model arrives
- Hard Top name returns for commercial Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top SUV: JLR reveals 2021 Land Rover Defender Hard Top SUV, Auto News, ET Auto
- New Land Rover Defender Hard Top Is Fit For Commercial Use
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Hard Top commercial model detailed
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top van version revealed
- Not a bakkie: new Land Rover Defender 'Hard Top' workhorse revealed…
- Land Rover Defender range grows with new commercial model