New Land Rover Defender: six-pot diesel spotted testing
Just weeks after a petrol V8 Defender was caught testing near Land Rover’s base at Gaydon, our spy photographer has caught the first six-cylinder diesel test mule.
Although the new shots only show a rear-side angle of the 4x4, the prototype’s number plate reveals the 4x4 uses a mild-hybrid 3.0-litre diesel engine.
Autocar understands Jaguar Land Rover is well into developing diesel versions of its latest Ingenium straight six as part of a modular engine family. Set to be badged D300, the Defender is expected to receive a 296bhp version as the units gradually roll out across both brands. The fact that it's registered as a mild hybrid fits into this.
The leaked document claimed a 7.4sec 0-62mph time, although it’s not clear if this is for the Defender 90 or 110. It’s expected that the engine will roll out in the US towards the end of this year and also find its way into the European and UK line-up at a similar time.
The six-cylinder diesel option will sit above the current diesel offerings: the four-cylinder D200 and D240, which offer up 197bhp and 237bhp respectively. It should also offer substantially more torque than the 317lb ft the four-cylinder units offer. A further variant to be introduced, likely in early 2021 or before, will be a petrol plug-in hybrid model expected to be badged P400e.
More on this: 105 stories
- Jaguar Land Rover Pivotal: Jaguar Land Rover launches premium car subscription service Pivotal, Auto News, ET Auto
- New Land Rover Defender diesel sold out
- Jaguar Land Rover doubles down on subscription service
- Jaguar Land Rover launches new vehicle subscription service
- Twisted's $250,000 Land Rover Defender LT1 V8 Restomod Coming To The U.S.
- JLR Launches 'Pivotal' Premium Car Subscription Service
- Jaguar Land Rover taps into car subscription services with Pivotal
- Jaguar Land Rover targets mobility market with car subscription scheme
- JLR launches Pivotal premium car subscription service
- Ineos Grenadier revealed as rugged off-roader for 2021
- Ineos reveals new 'no-nonsense' off-roader and takes aim at Land Rover Defender
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top ready to work
- New Ineos Grenadier Wants To Take Over From Where The Classic Defender Left Off
- Old-school Ineos Grenadier is British billionaire's brand new off-road SUV brand
- Report: Jaguar Land Rover working on hydrogen fuel-cell SUV
- Jaguar Land Rover to develop fuel cell-electric SUV
- 2020 Lincoln Corsair revisited, Porsche Taycan rear-drive dream, Nissan Ariya set for launch: What's New @ The Car Connection
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Hard Top commercial model arrives
- Hard Top name returns for commercial Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top SUV: JLR reveals 2021 Land Rover Defender Hard Top SUV, Auto News, ET Auto
- New Land Rover Defender Hard Top Is Fit For Commercial Use
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Hard Top commercial model detailed
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top van version revealed
- Not a bakkie: new Land Rover Defender 'Hard Top' workhorse revealed…
- Land Rover Defender range grows with new commercial model