Land Rover Defender arrives in Ireland
After a wait of (checks notes) some 72 years, we finally have a second generation of Land Rover's Defender, and it's just gone on sale in Ireland. For now, prices start at a pretty senior €68,160 which will get you a long-wheelbase 110 version with the 240hp SD4 diesel engine. There will be cheaper Defenders as we go, though. The short-wheelbase 90 version arrives later this year, and prices for that start at €59,410.
The legend of the original
It's been something of a long gestation for the new Defender, not least seeing as its predecessor - the original Land Rover let's not forget - went out of production in 2016. The legend of the original car has heaped much expectation on the shoulders of the new one. As Land Rover itself says: "Land Rover has defined all-terrain capability and toughness from the conception of its very first 4x4. The Series and Defender models before it, have gone above and beyond for decades, securing iconic status for their ability to help people make more of their world. The new Defender takes these much-loved characteristics and reimagines them for the 21st century."
Irish connections in the styling
We'll let you judge the styling for yourself, but it has at least a small Irish connection - Land Rover's chief designer Gerry McGovern has family connections in Leitrim. According to McGovern: "Every detail of the exterior design has been creatively developed to re-enforce Defender's DNA; sophisticated, durable and extremely tough, a vehicle design like no other."
Commercial model to follow
The Defender lineup will initially come with six models: a basic Defender, then S, SE, HSE, Defender X and a limited First Edition version. All of those will initially be long-wheelbase 100 models, with the 90 arriving later this year. The engines will be the 2.0-litre Ingenium diesel and the 2.0-litre, 300hp, turbocharged petrol, but a plug-in hybrid model will, eventually, follow. A commercial version will join the lineup later this year.
More on this: 105 stories
- Jaguar Land Rover Pivotal: Jaguar Land Rover launches premium car subscription service Pivotal, Auto News, ET Auto
- New Land Rover Defender diesel sold out
- Jaguar Land Rover doubles down on subscription service
- Jaguar Land Rover launches new vehicle subscription service
- Twisted's $250,000 Land Rover Defender LT1 V8 Restomod Coming To The U.S.
- JLR Launches 'Pivotal' Premium Car Subscription Service
- Jaguar Land Rover taps into car subscription services with Pivotal
- Jaguar Land Rover targets mobility market with car subscription scheme
- JLR launches Pivotal premium car subscription service
- Ineos Grenadier revealed as rugged off-roader for 2021
- Ineos reveals new 'no-nonsense' off-roader and takes aim at Land Rover Defender
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top ready to work
- New Ineos Grenadier Wants To Take Over From Where The Classic Defender Left Off
- Old-school Ineos Grenadier is British billionaire's brand new off-road SUV brand
- Report: Jaguar Land Rover working on hydrogen fuel-cell SUV
- Jaguar Land Rover to develop fuel cell-electric SUV
- 2020 Lincoln Corsair revisited, Porsche Taycan rear-drive dream, Nissan Ariya set for launch: What's New @ The Car Connection
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Hard Top commercial model arrives
- Hard Top name returns for commercial Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top SUV: JLR reveals 2021 Land Rover Defender Hard Top SUV, Auto News, ET Auto
- New Land Rover Defender Hard Top Is Fit For Commercial Use
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Hard Top commercial model detailed
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top van version revealed
- Not a bakkie: new Land Rover Defender 'Hard Top' workhorse revealed…
- Land Rover Defender range grows with new commercial model