Osprey's Classic Land Rover Defender Restomod Costs Nearly As Much As Four New Defender 110s
While the new Land Rover Defender is loaded with advanced technology that promises to make off-roading easier than ever before, this 1993 Defender recently restored and modified by Osprey Custom Cars is something else entirely.
The company, based out of Wilmington, North Carolina, started work on this Defender by removing all of the body panels and restoring the chassis. Osprey then overhauled the suspension system with new shocks and springs from Terra Firma as well as a new steering stabilizer along with a new heavy-duty track rod and drag link, as well as heavy-duty front and rear axles.
Then we come to the engine. Gone is the original powertrain and in its place sits a 6.2-liter Corvette LS3 V8 rated at 525 hp and 486 lb-ft (659 Nm) of torque and paired with an automatic transmission. Heavy-duty driveshafts and a custom transfer case are also present. Osprey has also upgraded the brakes with larger calipers and vented discs while also installing 19-inch Kahn wheels.
Inside, the off-roader features heated front seats, an Alcantara headliner and heavy-duty rubber floor mats. There are also power windows, keyless entry and a double-din stereo with DVD, Apple CarPlay, Bluetooth, navigation, and a reversing camera. Osprey has also fitted a 10-speaker JL audio system.
From the outside, the Defender looks absolutely gorgeous. Located up front is a heavy-duty winch while a host of gloss black parts beautifully contrast the white paint. Other key exterior features include a snorkel and an LED light bar on the roof.
Oh, it’ll cost you
The bad news? As often is the case with these kinds of creations, be prepared for a sticker shock as Osprey’s classic Defender is priced at $189,000. If you can live without the classic looks, that kind of dough can get you anywhere from nearly four brand new base, 296hp four-cylinder 2020 Land Rover Defenders at $49,900 a pop, or two nicely equipped Defender 110 X editions with the 395hp 6-cylinder engine from $80,900 a piece.
More on this: 105 stories
- Jaguar Land Rover Pivotal: Jaguar Land Rover launches premium car subscription service Pivotal, Auto News, ET Auto
- New Land Rover Defender diesel sold out
- Jaguar Land Rover doubles down on subscription service
- Jaguar Land Rover launches new vehicle subscription service
- Twisted's $250,000 Land Rover Defender LT1 V8 Restomod Coming To The U.S.
- JLR Launches 'Pivotal' Premium Car Subscription Service
- Jaguar Land Rover taps into car subscription services with Pivotal
- Jaguar Land Rover targets mobility market with car subscription scheme
- JLR launches Pivotal premium car subscription service
- Ineos Grenadier revealed as rugged off-roader for 2021
- Ineos reveals new 'no-nonsense' off-roader and takes aim at Land Rover Defender
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top ready to work
- New Ineos Grenadier Wants To Take Over From Where The Classic Defender Left Off
- Old-school Ineos Grenadier is British billionaire's brand new off-road SUV brand
- Report: Jaguar Land Rover working on hydrogen fuel-cell SUV
- Jaguar Land Rover to develop fuel cell-electric SUV
- 2020 Lincoln Corsair revisited, Porsche Taycan rear-drive dream, Nissan Ariya set for launch: What's New @ The Car Connection
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Hard Top commercial model arrives
- Hard Top name returns for commercial Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top SUV: JLR reveals 2021 Land Rover Defender Hard Top SUV, Auto News, ET Auto
- New Land Rover Defender Hard Top Is Fit For Commercial Use
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Hard Top commercial model detailed
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top van version revealed
- Not a bakkie: new Land Rover Defender 'Hard Top' workhorse revealed…
- Land Rover Defender range grows with new commercial model