Range Rover gets 50th-anniversary edition
The vehicle that started the luxury-SUV segment in 1970, the Range Rover, is getting a special 50th-anniversary edition this year.
Land Rover said Tuesday it will build just 1,970 Range Rover Fifty models for all of its global markets. Fewer than 400 are planned to be sold in North America. Land Rover has 188 U.S. dealers, so each dealer will have the opportunity to order at least one, possibly two vehicles.
The Range Rover Fifty will be available in standard or long wheelbase and with a 5.0-liter supercharged V-8 engine rated at 518 hp. It will be available in four colors, but the Land Rover Special Vehicle Operations division will offer small numbers of the vehicle painted in one of three additional heritage colors from the original 1970 Range Rover lineup: Tuscan Blue, Bahama Gold or Davos White. All versions have special 22-inch wheels and a "Fifty" script on the thresholds, seats, console and exterior designed by Land Rover's chief creative officer, Gerry McGovern.
The original Range Rover — which combined the luxurious interior and comfortable ride of Rover's upscale 1960s cars with the go-anywhere capability of the utilitarian Land Rover off-road vehicle — went on sale June 17, 1970. U.S. sales started in 1987 and created a new segment.
No word yet on prices or when the Range Rover Fifty will be available for order. Land Rover is expected to announce details of the fifth-generation Range Rover sometime next year.
More on this: 105 stories
- Jaguar Land Rover Pivotal: Jaguar Land Rover launches premium car subscription service Pivotal, Auto News, ET Auto
- New Land Rover Defender diesel sold out
- Jaguar Land Rover doubles down on subscription service
- Jaguar Land Rover launches new vehicle subscription service
- Twisted's $250,000 Land Rover Defender LT1 V8 Restomod Coming To The U.S.
- JLR Launches 'Pivotal' Premium Car Subscription Service
- Jaguar Land Rover taps into car subscription services with Pivotal
- Jaguar Land Rover targets mobility market with car subscription scheme
- JLR launches Pivotal premium car subscription service
- Ineos Grenadier revealed as rugged off-roader for 2021
- Ineos reveals new 'no-nonsense' off-roader and takes aim at Land Rover Defender
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top ready to work
- New Ineos Grenadier Wants To Take Over From Where The Classic Defender Left Off
- Old-school Ineos Grenadier is British billionaire's brand new off-road SUV brand
- Report: Jaguar Land Rover working on hydrogen fuel-cell SUV
- Jaguar Land Rover to develop fuel cell-electric SUV
- 2020 Lincoln Corsair revisited, Porsche Taycan rear-drive dream, Nissan Ariya set for launch: What's New @ The Car Connection
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Hard Top commercial model arrives
- Hard Top name returns for commercial Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top SUV: JLR reveals 2021 Land Rover Defender Hard Top SUV, Auto News, ET Auto
- New Land Rover Defender Hard Top Is Fit For Commercial Use
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Hard Top commercial model detailed
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top van version revealed
- Not a bakkie: new Land Rover Defender 'Hard Top' workhorse revealed…
- Land Rover Defender range grows with new commercial model