Jaguar Land Rover Considering A Hydrogen Fuel Cell SUV
Jaguar Land Rover is reportedly interested in developing a hydrogen fuel cell model as part of a £73.5 million ($91.2 million) government-funded program aimed at reducing carbon emissions in the automotive sector.
According to AutoExpress, this program is known as Project Zeus and JLR has already teamed up with multiple UK-based companies such as Delta Motorsport, Marelli Automotive Systems and UKBIC. It’s worth noting that the project is still in its infancy.
This means that it can take a few more years for all parties involved to properly evaluate, analyze and eventually develop this hydrogen technology. Still, a consortium of companies should speed up the process, as opposed to JLR doing this all on their own.
A document issued by the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy stated the following: “Working with world-class research and industry partners, Jaguar Land Rover is developing a prototype hydrogen fuel cell vehicle. The project will deliver a zero tailpipe emissions premium fuel cell SUV concept with Jaguar Land Rover attributes, such as long range, quick refill, towing, off road capabilities and low temperature performance.”
“The project will help drive significant growth and capability in fuel cell electric vehicle design and manufacturing, providing a competitive edge in intellectual property and supply chain for the UK.”
JLR is not the first premium carmaker to venture into hydrogen fuel cell tech, as Audi, BMW and Mercedes have already explored those avenues one way or another – mostly with prototypes, like the Audi h-tron quattro.
We also don’t know when the British company will be able to unveil such a vehicle, and whether it will be badged as a Jaguar or a Land Rover.
More on this: 105 stories
- Jaguar Land Rover Pivotal: Jaguar Land Rover launches premium car subscription service Pivotal, Auto News, ET Auto
- New Land Rover Defender diesel sold out
- Jaguar Land Rover doubles down on subscription service
- Jaguar Land Rover launches new vehicle subscription service
- Twisted's $250,000 Land Rover Defender LT1 V8 Restomod Coming To The U.S.
- JLR Launches 'Pivotal' Premium Car Subscription Service
- Jaguar Land Rover taps into car subscription services with Pivotal
- Jaguar Land Rover targets mobility market with car subscription scheme
- JLR launches Pivotal premium car subscription service
- Ineos Grenadier revealed as rugged off-roader for 2021
- Ineos reveals new 'no-nonsense' off-roader and takes aim at Land Rover Defender
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top ready to work
- New Ineos Grenadier Wants To Take Over From Where The Classic Defender Left Off
- Old-school Ineos Grenadier is British billionaire's brand new off-road SUV brand
- Report: Jaguar Land Rover working on hydrogen fuel-cell SUV
- Jaguar Land Rover to develop fuel cell-electric SUV
- 2020 Lincoln Corsair revisited, Porsche Taycan rear-drive dream, Nissan Ariya set for launch: What's New @ The Car Connection
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Hard Top commercial model arrives
- Hard Top name returns for commercial Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top SUV: JLR reveals 2021 Land Rover Defender Hard Top SUV, Auto News, ET Auto
- New Land Rover Defender Hard Top Is Fit For Commercial Use
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Hard Top commercial model detailed
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top van version revealed
- Not a bakkie: new Land Rover Defender 'Hard Top' workhorse revealed…
- Land Rover Defender range grows with new commercial model