Jaguar Land Rover to develop fuel cell-electric SUV
Jaguar Land Rover will develop a prototype hydrogen fuel cell-electric SUV under a government-funded program in the United Kingdom.
The project is part of a 73.5 million British pound (approximately $90.2 million) stimulus program for the automotive industry focused on green technology.
The hydrogen SUV project is called "ZEUS" for "zero and low-emissions vehicles in urban society." The announcement did not offer much detail on the vehicle, but said it would have "Jaguar Land Rover attributes," such as robust off-road capability.
In addition to ZEUS, the stimulus program will fund a Jaguar Land Rover project to develop a power electronics system for future battery-electric vehicles. BMW and Ford development projects will be funded by the program as well.
Land Rover Discovery Sport plug-in hybrid
To date, Jaguar Land Rover has primarily focused on plug-in hybrid and battery-electric vehicles when it comes to alternative powertrains. The automaker is beginning to experiment with fuel cells at a time when some rivals are moving away from the technology.
Mercedes-Benz announced earlier this year that it would end fuel-cell development for passenger cars, shifting to commercial vehicle applications instead. BMW plans to launch a production version of the X5-based i Hydrogen Next concept in 2022, but it will be built in low volumes.
In March, BMW said a mass-market hydrogen model wouldn't be ready until the second half of the decade at the earliest, and then only if market conditions were favorable.
Only Honda, Hyundai and Toyota currently sell fuel cell cars, and U.S. sales are limited to California due to lack of fueling infrastructure elsewhere. U.S. startup Nikola Motors plans to sell battery-electric pickups and semi-trailer trucks that use fuel cells as range extenders, but the company has so far only shown prototypes.
More on this: 105 stories
- Jaguar Land Rover Pivotal: Jaguar Land Rover launches premium car subscription service Pivotal, Auto News, ET Auto
- New Land Rover Defender diesel sold out
- Jaguar Land Rover doubles down on subscription service
- Jaguar Land Rover launches new vehicle subscription service
- Twisted's $250,000 Land Rover Defender LT1 V8 Restomod Coming To The U.S.
- JLR Launches 'Pivotal' Premium Car Subscription Service
- Jaguar Land Rover taps into car subscription services with Pivotal
- Jaguar Land Rover targets mobility market with car subscription scheme
- JLR launches Pivotal premium car subscription service
- Ineos Grenadier revealed as rugged off-roader for 2021
- Ineos reveals new 'no-nonsense' off-roader and takes aim at Land Rover Defender
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top ready to work
- New Ineos Grenadier Wants To Take Over From Where The Classic Defender Left Off
- Old-school Ineos Grenadier is British billionaire's brand new off-road SUV brand
- Report: Jaguar Land Rover working on hydrogen fuel-cell SUV
- 2020 Lincoln Corsair revisited, Porsche Taycan rear-drive dream, Nissan Ariya set for launch: What's New @ The Car Connection
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Hard Top commercial model arrives
- Hard Top name returns for commercial Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top SUV: JLR reveals 2021 Land Rover Defender Hard Top SUV, Auto News, ET Auto
- New Land Rover Defender Hard Top Is Fit For Commercial Use
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Hard Top commercial model detailed
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top van version revealed
- Not a bakkie: new Land Rover Defender 'Hard Top' workhorse revealed…
- Land Rover Defender range grows with new commercial model
- New Land Rover Defender Hard Top 2021 detailed: Could this SUV workhorse replace your Toyota HiLux dual-cab ute?